does having red eye in a picture mean my baby has cancer?

My husbands aunt called me and told me to get my baby checked out because in a picture we had sent them one of my babies eyes was red. She told me that this meant that he had cancer. i myself do not believe it and think that it is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. I am so mad that she has ruined my mothers day weekend. I am a first time mom and i worry about everything... please help me!!! she has me worrying now....

monroehalf09

Asked by monroehalf09 at 6:28 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ha ha ha! That is a line of total bullshit. Red eye is caused by the way the light reflects off the eyes. If that was a sign of cancer, 90% of people who have had their picture taken should be on their way to the hospital!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 6:30 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Yeah, that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire life. According to that, I have cancer, and have since I was a baby too.
    Anonymous

• i have red eyes when my pics are taken and do do my 18 month old daughter and neither of us have cancer.
    I have never heard of that before!
    Happy mother day!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:31 PM on May. 8, 2010

• ANYONE can have red eye in a picture....it has NOTHING to do with cancer...if you said that to a doctor....he would probably giggle lol...that is the silliest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Don't worry yourself over nothing. Don't let her ruin your mother's day..enjoy yourself, and enjoy your little one. =)
    Anonymous

• There is a natural "red reflex". That's what it is called. It is normal to see it. There is also an eye cancer that can be detected by using that red reflex. So, dh's aunt has it partially right. A doc should check the baby's eyes at each well baby check up.

Try not to worry and have a Happy First Mother's Day!!!!

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:32 PM on May. 8, 2010

• if that is true than everyone I snap a picture of has cancer.

I know there was a story in the paper about a baby having a cloudy retna in all of her pictures, and someone pointed it out , they took the baby to the dr. and she had a tumor in her eye or in back or something...

Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 6:32 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Bless her stupid heart. She doesn't know much about photography does she? No your baby doesn't have cancer bc of the red eye in a picture. I'd think she'd say the child has a demon or something the way the red eyes look sometimes in pictures but even that isn't true. Just laugh at her ignorance.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:34 PM on May. 8, 2010

• From a photographer. Red eye is cause by the relection of the pupils. This happens a lot when the room is dark enough to need a flash, because the person's pupils are larger in a darker room therefore making the reflection causing red-eye more pronounce. Having red eye in only one eye is weird meaning one pupil could be larger than the other. I haven't seen this before, but it could be the angle the camera was at, or some other malfunction. Maybe take some more pictures and see if it happens again. I'm sorry you are worried and it's ruining your mother's day, but your mom probably saw this on Grey's Anatomy or something and is just worried.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 6:40 PM on May. 8, 2010

• LOL Wow..
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 6:42 PM on May. 8, 2010

• thank you everyone sooo much!!! my mom who is a RN....laughed when i told her... i thought it was sooo stupid... but i just had to ask
    monroehalf09

Answer by monroehalf09 at 6:42 PM on May. 8, 2010