I have a daughter that is 9 and has been begging me for a cell phone

I like to think that I have no problem with that, but her attitude and her being overly sex crazed at her age makes me scared. I have read that kids theses days do a thing called sexting and I'm afraid she will do that. I want her to have one for her safety but not for her nudity isues that she likes to share.

jenny0977

Asked by jenny0977 at 7:11 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Get her a prepaid phone without texting or pics etc. Or just add her to your plan with the BASIC calling, that is IT.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 7:15 PM on May. 8, 2010

• you cant punish her for things other kids do. just because other kids are sexting doesnt mean she is going to, and i think 9 is alittle young for sexting. the ones sexting are like 14 or so. just because she has a crush on a guy in a tv show she likes doesnt mean shes sex crazed. lol.
    give her a chance.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:18 PM on May. 8, 2010

• if she is already overly sexualized or shares nudity issues (just what i got from your post)....i personally would not.

my SD is 9 almost 10. I feel that she is safe at school and while at drama. those are the only times that she is not with either myself, her dad, her mom, or her step dad - or another family/friend that we feel comfortable with her being with. Thus, I have never felt that she needed a cell phone for safety. She seems to think she will get one at 12, but I think she will have another thing coming when if her mom gets her one, it will not be allowed in this home or at school until SO agrees that she is ready to have one. She has no need for a cell phone. I think its interesting that a lot of people think that these kids all need them. i never had one till i went to college. i am only 26. There are land lines and other options available.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:18 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Nudity issues that she likes to share? Maybe the issue shouldn't be about phones?
    Anonymous

• There are land lines and other options available.

I think that 9 is a little young no matter what, but I disagree with this statement. I didn't get my first cell until I was 38 but growing up there was a phone booth on every street corner. These days I am lucky to find even one at the mall. The land lines aren't much of an option anymore and when they are, they are massively expensive.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:28 AM on May. 9, 2010

• My Dd says she wants a phone too. She is almost 11, and I just don't see the need. If she is at the library or someplace not with me she can use her Dad's phone( he hates having it around, so that helps). If her dad didn't want her to use his phone I would get one of the limited phones that you can control the numbers and NO pix or texting. Just my 2cents
    1Godivamom

Answer by 1Godivamom at 2:25 AM on May. 9, 2010

• This is where PARENTING comes in...You say... NO. Its not hard...and 'nudity isues that she likes to share' Seriously? At 9? The child needs to see someone that can help her....I hope you find someone soon ...Be strong for her......Blessing to her.
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 5:40 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I got my 9 year old a phone and it was always switched off or out of charge. Its really too young for a phone. Now my daughter is 14 and she still forgets to charge it half the time so its not really necessary, more that she justs wants one.
    muminoz

Answer by muminoz at 6:01 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Just say NO. What does a 9 yr old need a phone for? Safety? Please...use your head, woman...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Your daughter is your only child and of course you want to give her everything and keep her safe, however if she is going to be disrespectful, manish, out of controll and downright mean about, then dont reward her with giving in to her needs and wants. Besides she is 9 years old, you take her where she needs to be and pick her up. You should keep in contact with all of her friends parents, teachers etc.that way you can know what she is doing and where she is at all times. A cell phone is a privilege only we have made it a necessity. Getting a nine year old, boy crazy girl a cell phone is only asking for more problems. Dont do it to yourself. start off with a minute phone. She can only get one card a month. No texting capability until she is old enough to work and help pay the bill. speaking from experience with my 2 daughters..when some else is paying your bill...you could care less about the minutes and money being spent.
    QueenKhemet43

Answer by QueenKhemet43 at 8:55 AM on May. 9, 2010