Do you think Nurses have the right to keep a Parent from visiting there child within the NNU/SCBU/NICU on the childs date of birth or at any other time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Health

• I'd call the head of the hospital and ask. If that didn't get me what I wanted I'd knock on his door and find out why.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:34 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I dont believe they have that right... although i did have a nurse (when ds#2 was born) forbid me from picking him up because she had just gotten him to sleep... i got my doc and pedi and had them have a talk with her and the head nurse
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 7:20 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I would think that there may be times that the nurses or doctors are treating the child, or may have gotten a child to rest comfortably. Understandably, they want the child to rest. If they ask you to leave them be for a bit for their health- I can see where this makes sense.

However, by telling you NOT to come at all or not allowing you to visit at any point... No. You are the parent and you have the right to see your child and MUST be an integral part of their ongoing care.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:13 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I guess it would just depend. If the baby was in dire condition and they were working on him/her to save their life, I would think you would not be allowed to visit and would think you would understand. If not, and you were careful to follow all the rules of sterlizing yourself and making sure not to contaminate the baby then I don't see why they would be able to keep you away.
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 9:09 PM on May. 8, 2010

• There are times when they are either doing a shift change and for all the patients privacy (it is law) they won't allow parents or anyone that isn't staff for the NICU, ect in. Also if they are doing some procedures on your baby (or another baby) they might not ley you. Both of my kids were in the NICU and it is frustrating. When my kids were getting stablized I wasn't allowed in and also when they were redoing my daughters IV they kicked everyone out so there was no distractions.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 1:50 AM on May. 9, 2010