How do I get my 9 month old to take naps during the day?

Anytime we put him in the crib, he sits/stands up and fusses even though he's extremely tired.

mypreciousbabe

Asked by mypreciousbabe at 8:03 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's always fallen asleep on his own, so I don't want to start that habit of holding on to him, etc. Thanks anyway.
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 8:17 PM on May. 8, 2010

• sry i must have read the question wrong...thought u was having trouble getting him to take naps....thats how i done it with my daughter
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 8:33 PM on May. 8, 2010

• You need to look at his current schedule. We have our 9 month old on a schedule. He will be laid down at 10AM for his first nap, wake up and have lunch at noon. Then be laid down again at 1:30PM for his second nap. Our two year old lays down for his nap at 1PM. We all wake up at 7:30AM and they have set bedtimes. Our two year old is laid down at 7:30. 9 month old at 8PM and 5 year old is in bed by 8:30PM. 9 month old might wake up for another feeding around 10PM, but is kept in a dark room and laid back down afterwards. He will not wake up again (unless sick) until 7:30AM the next morning.

It takes a few days for a schedule to be set, but you have to stick to it if you want it to work. Our 9 month old sucks on a paci to go to sleep currently. Our two year old and five year old have a toy to hold onto for comfort at night. Good luck.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 9:12 PM on May. 8, 2010

• give him a little warm milk...like an ounce or two....that might get him to take a nap
    ready4mybaby

Answer by ready4mybaby at 10:57 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Put him in his crib, close the curtins in the window so its dark and shut the door! when hes tired enough, he'll fall asleep!.. thats how both min took naps! .. i always make sure theres nothing wrong with the baby before i put him down i.e clean diaper, full belly ... and always at the same time everyday!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 9, 2010

• It sounds like he was taking naps just fine, but now is not anymore?? Do I have that right? It could be a number of things - - teething, getting sick, any changes in his world - all can change sleep habits. It could also be that he is overtired before you put him down, which will make it more difficult for him to fall asleep - - you could try putting him down for his nap a earlier, before he gets that tired. Good luck!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:32 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I've read that at this age babies will sometimes not take naps or will even get up during the night because they are enjoying standing (and the cot is an ideal place to stand because they can hang on.) I just keep going in and gently put him back down in the cot with his bottle and dummy. (If he doesn't have his bottle in the cot, I guess just gently lay him down and leave it at that) I wouldn't worry too much, if its just the standing thing he will eventually get tired of that and lay down!
    muminoz

Answer by muminoz at 5:30 AM on May. 9, 2010