Pagans, how do you celebrate?

I feel weird celebrating the full and new moons, and all the Sabbats by myself. My husband is not pagan, my daughter is 2 (and will only be included in my celebrations if she decides she wants to be when she's older anyway), and the pagan group here... well, it's kind of a meeting place for people who use paganism as an excuse for their totally weird behavior lol. A lot of the members make me quite uncomfortable, they're just not normal people, KWIM? It's like they're LSD burnouts or something lol.

So how do I have a celebration for just one person without feeling awkward about it? I don't want to cook a big feast for a holiday no one else celebrates and it feels weird to have other celebrations (meditation, rituals, moongazing, etc) with my family looking on lol.

Any suggestions here?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 9:44 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is the reason we joined a Unitarian Universalist church. Our congregation is about 25% active "pagan." We had a Beltane service and a May pole last week.

We also celebrate Jewish and Christian and Islamic holidays. Our family gets to experience everything we want to experience. No need to feel like children are being pushed into a faith-- they get to see all of them in action.

We also have a pot luck for everything. I mean everything. Even the holidays most people fast-- we cook. :)
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:02 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I feel the same way even though my husband participates with me. I just realize why Im doing it and forget about the rest.
    And if Im doing something alone then I tend to say the words and such inside not outloud, helps me connect better.

As for feasts and stuff, I keep it super simple. Just one item served(maybe 2)and a drink. If I was going to go all out then everyone would eat it even my three wee ones. LOL

In the end I think the awkwardness is only going to go away after you get totally comfortable with doing it that way. You will eventually push it to the back and it wont mean as much.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:13 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Thanks :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:49 AM on May. 9, 2010

• You are welcome. :)

Funny thing this came up cuz I just said something like that to my husband last weekend LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:20 AM on May. 9, 2010

• you wouldn't happen to live in arizona would you?
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 7:30 AM on May. 9, 2010

• My husband and I are considered solitary because we do not belong to a coven. We celebrate together when he's not working, but most of the time I do it by myself. I don't really know how to help you because I don't feel weird doing it alone. Maybe some background music will help though.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:34 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I don't really have big celebrations, but I try to do little things. I do celebrate Summer Solstice with my kids though. We go to a pagan gathering (lots of non pagans go too... it is open to the public), make special foods, and sometimes watch A Midsummer Night's Dream. For Samhain I usually just light candles for the ancestors, we do the trick or treat for kids (mine are getting too old now), and for Winter Solstice we do Christmas stuff (although I do like to concentrate on natural elements). Last year for Mabon we had a special meal at home with cornbread, beans, greens, and we opened a bottle of mead that someone gave us and we all (even the kids) drank it. I'm going to try to do more things this year.
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 4:31 PM on May. 10, 2010