My 8 month old's eating and sleeping pattern changed. How do I fix this?!?! HELP!!!

I don't know what to do. My 8 month old daughter refuses to sleep in her crib & she won't sleep through the night. Also most days she doesn't want to eat anything other than breastmilk. She was sick & teething middle of April. Her doctor said she was fine as long as she was still eating something & was having regular wet diapers. He also said as long as she is sleeping at some point its ok. For my sanity I need help fixing this now that she is feeling better. Slaps the spoon or spits out the food when I give her baby foods (tried all her favorites & new ones). At night she wants to breastfeed off & on all night. She sleeps in her crip maybe 2 hours (if that) a night. Before she was sick she would sleep in her bed until around 3-4 am. Come in, eat and go back to sleep with me until we got up in the morning. I'm not sure how to get her back eating baby food and sleeping in her crib. Please help me! Any ideas are welcome.

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 10:05 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a phase. they usually last a couple of weeks. There really isn't much you can do but it will go back to normal soon. I think that my DD had a growth spurt around that age.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:13 PM on May. 8, 2010

• HANG IN THERE I KNOW ITS HARD WHEN YOU HAVE NOT HAD SLEEP. JUST KEEP TRYING TO PUT HER BACK IN HER CRIB AND KEEP DOING WHAT YOU WERE DOING BEFORE. HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL NOT LAST LONG. MY DAUGHTER DOES THIS FROM TIME TO TIME. SHE IS 2. SHE MIGHT JUST BE MISSING YOU. PLUS SHE MIGHT NOT BE FEELING WELL YET HER TEETH MIGHT STILL BE HURTING HER. MY DAUGHTER IS TEETHING ALSO AND HER PATTERN WAS ALSO OFF BUT SHE IS SOMEWHAT BETTER NOW. THIS IS MY 2ND WEEK WITH THE TEETH THIS IS HARD!!!!!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:18 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I agree with Jademom07. To add though, they will go through various stages from time to time. It's like they are training you. They get you used to one schedule and then they change on ya!!! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:19 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I have a 3 year old. She was such a good baby. I think she spoiled me. Lol. But because my 8 month old won't sleep and my 3 yr old gets up on a schedual I really don't get a lot of sleep. Its so exhausting and stressfull.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:23 PM on May. 8, 2010

• It must be a phase. My daughter will be nine months this coming week and this past month as been horrible with her sleeping. The last 4 nights perhaps have been getting back to somewhat normal. But unlike your daughter she seems to not want to nurse now and maybe is self-weaning. Today she refused to nurse from 8am to 5:30pm. Thank goodness she practically eats everything else in sight. Anyway, no advice I guess. They can be so confusing at times!
    Anonymous

• My son did this around the same age, we started adding "real" food and that has really helped and now he'll eat both baby food and stuff we're eating and he's back to sleeping 10 - 11 hours at night.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:59 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Let her be. She'll change it again. And again. And again.

She doesn't NEED the baby food. She only NEEDS the breastmilk. Baby food is an option only; not having it doesn't cheat her.

And she knows how much sleep she needs.

And your eight month old IS a good baby...unless she's robbing banks. **grin**

Hang in there...this WILL pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:17 PM on May. 10, 2010