i'm so confused as to when to go to the hospital

I have two friends who are the same age as I am, we're in our early 20's. one of them when to the hospital when her contractions were 5 minutes apart, she gave birth 28 hours later. the other one gave birth 5 hours after her 1st contraction. those really are the two extremes but it makes me so confused as to when i should go in when i go into labor. advice please? i really don't want to go it too early.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doctor. It depends on your pregnancy. Most hospitals won't keep you unless the contractions are 5 mins apart but the length of labor after that point depends on the woman.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 PM on May. 8, 2010

• a big thing to remember is to trust your own body and instincts. if you think you should go in...GO. mine were a minute apart for 3 hours before i went in and i still got sent home.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:25 PM on May. 8, 2010

• read the book Husband Coached childbirth by robert a Bradley even if you dont want a natural delivery it is a really good step by step of what is happening and what to do when
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:51 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I went when my contractions felt different. I had BHs regularly 4-5 minutes apart for about 2 weeks. I started bleeding the day before I had my DD and my contractions felt different (they felt like my pelvis was crushing) but they weren't regular. I waited it out, couldn't sleep, was in the hospital at 8 the next morning because they got regular and I couldn't sleep, walk or talk threw them & the bleeding got heavier. Had my DD at 4:57pm that day.
    I was completely unsure on when to go, if I would know it was real this time but when they tell you that you will know when it is time, you will! I had alot of false alarms but there was no doubt when it came down to it.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:20 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I go when they start to be "painful". When they first start it's just uncomfortable. But when they start making me stop and bend over alittle, then I tell my husband I'm ready to go. If your water brakes, then the pain comes quicker. With my first two, my water didn't brake, but with my third it broke and it didn't take no time for me to get my husband out of the house and off to the hospital lol. But trust me, you'll know when you need to go in.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:02 AM on May. 9, 2010

• In my childbirth class, the nurses told us to wait to go to the hospital until your contractions are consistantly 5 minutes apart for an hour straight...or if your water breaks. So I started having contractions at 11am, and by 11pm they were consistently 5 mins apart. When to the hospital and I was 4cm dialated and my son was born at 12:10pm the next day. You don't want to go if they are just going to send you home and TRUST ME, you are much more comfortable in those early stages at home, than in the hospital. It was painful but I could deal with the contractions at home...I was rocking back and forth on the glider in my son's room. But once I got to the hospital, there was no comfortable thing there. I had to get the epidural because I just couldn't stand it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:26 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I went with my first after 3 full days of contractions and had him almost 14hrs after I got to the hospital!! My second, my water broke at home and then the contractions started. I got to the hospital about an hour later, because my contractions were every 2-3min. She was born 2 1/2 hrs later. My 3rd and 4th were induced so I was in the hospital already. So I would say when they are a few minutes apart consistently, and its hard for you to talk thru them. That is probably what your doctor would tell you, good luck :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:45 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Every womans labor is different you just have to trust your own body . If you feel you are ready to go then go it cant hurt anything and if you get sent home atleast you will know its not quite time yet . With my son I was in labor after I water broke 9 hours and with my daughter after my water broke it was a whole 33 minutes lol so you never know.
    Anonymous

• I would go after my water breaks if the contractions are coming 5 minutes apart for at least 30 mins to an hour.
    Anonymous