Ok, So i am 19 years old and pregnant.

My father was in the military so I'm on his insurance until I'm 21. But my son is not, I found out yesterday that they will not circumcise my son!! But they will not let me go to another hospital to give birth. I cannot get Medicaid for my son until after he is born because I already have insurance. What do i do??

YoungMom0803

Asked by YoungMom0803 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• just get what ever you need done and have the hospital bill you. once you do get medicade for the baby, they will pay all his hospital bills for the 3 monthes prior to the medicade approval date.
    Penny0222

Answer by Penny0222 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• right when hes born go apply for medical. They give you a month of insurance for new borns until you can get some type of insurance. My insurance didn't pay for my son to be circumcised i had to pay for it & it cost $200.00.
    Jolenemom2

Answer by Jolenemom2 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Don't get him circumcised, then you don't have to worry about paying for it! There are no real benefits to it so why do it?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i was able to get medicaid for both my kids while i was preggo with them, each state may be different... and with the circumcision... Dont get it done... it is not needed, thats why alot of ins companies dont cover it, it is a cosmetic surgery... just do alot od research... feel free to ask me any questions you may have i will be more then happy to answer them...
    imthemama0608

Answer by imthemama0608 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You should honestly think about just not getting him circumsized. You should research the many reasons not to do it, pain being the #1 reason. Your mommy instincts will kick in, and you will be glad they didn't do it!
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 3:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Dont circ' my son is 5 and is intact.......he is just fine and exactly the way God created him......There is NO medical reason to circ and the AAP....doesnt recommend it......

If you choose not to circ.....just DO NOT PULL BACK THE FORSKIN...its a common misconception and it causes tears under the skin which lets infection in......it will become loose and retractable when he is older.....

Read all about it on the internet and educate yourself....I am and glad I did..... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Don't circumcise him. It's 100% unnecessary, there are NO health benefits, and many detractions (such as loss of sensetivity, infections that uncirc'ed babies don't get, and risk of a botched circumcision and total loss of the penis) and it is not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Since it is an elective and unnecessary procedure, the military will not cover it. Listen to the ladies above. There is no reason to put your son through this agony.
    l_to_the_e

Answer by l_to_the_e at 3:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• The hospital shouldn't expect payment immediately after you receive the bill. Once your son is approved for Medicaid, it should cover normal medical costs starting from his birth. If you don't have at least a few hundred bucks to fork over, I would avoid having any procedures or tests done on your son that won't be covered by Medicaid. In many states, that includes circumcision. It'll be easier on you in the first week or so if you leave him uncut anyhow... a baby's foreskin is still attached to the head, so it's as easy to clean as a circ'd penis that's already healed. Plus, you don't have to deal with the healing process. Below is a link for the proper care info if you leave your son intact. It's easy (easier than cleaning the girl parts), and as long as no one forcefully retracts his foreskin, he shouldn't have any problems. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

http://www.aap.org/publiced/br_uncircumcised.htm
    sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 3:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my boyfriend is not circumsized and he hates it.. so if u are going to do it think of both sides... he could be really self concious of it his whole life as my bf is...
    Anonymous

• Don't get him circumcised. It's not necessary. That is why the insurance won't pay. He will be just fine not circumcised if you take the proper care. Just wash the outside and do not retract the foreskin. Goodluck! PM me for anymore information. Many parents are choosing not to circumcise.
    soon2bemomof307

Answer by soon2bemomof307 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2008