What would you do if your husband gave you an ultimatum?

What if he told you that you had to do "this, this, and this" in 6 months or he would leave you? Would you do it to keep the peace, would you do it and then leave him, or would you not do it at all just to see if he really does leave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd tell him "why wait?" I hate ultimatums. I'd pack his crap so fast it would make his head swim. Who is he to give ultimatums? It's a relationship and things should be discussed and worked out like grown ups not like some tyrant leader who rules the world.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 PM on May. 8, 2010

• What is he telling me to do? If it's reasonable and it would help our marriage then I'd do it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:58 PM on May. 8, 2010

• it depends what it is and why....maybe its a fair thing he wants you to change or maybe its stupid and he is just trying to control you. So maybe tell us the ultimatium.
    Anonymous

• Orionsgirl, would it really matter what it is if he just came up to you and said that you HAD to do his requests and if not then he would leave. There was no discussion, just demands. How is that love? How is that a marriage?
    Anonymous

• I would look him in the eye and say "BYE".
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 11:03 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Remind him it will cost a lot more to get rid of you than to work things out. For better, for worse, in sickness and in health... til death do us part. Child support, spousal support, selling community property, divorce is ugly. I hope you can work it out. Make the choice that benefits you.
    Anonymous

• I would tell him to save us both time, and get the heck out now.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:04 PM on May. 8, 2010

• It's hard to explain the full situation but he wants me to get a full time job that pays $10+ an hour. I already have a full time job that pays $7.50 an hour. I have been looking for the past 6 months but I am either over qualified or I don't have enough experience. It's not like we are struggling financially. I mean we could be better off (who couldn't) but we are able to pay all of our bills.

Anonymous

• Depends... is it something that affects your marriage? Or is it petty, like weight loss, or cleaning differently?
    If it affects your marriage and you need to fix that to make it a healthy one, I would oblige. The other stuff? For better or worse, richer or poorer, sickness and health, (fat or thin, short or tall, pimply or great complexion, frumpy or stylish) til death!
    First, I'd talk to him about it, and work from there. There is a difference between ultimatums and manipulation.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:07 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Over a job...you've got to be kidding me. He should be happy that you have a job! Thats stupid. If he was like stop all the partying or I'm gone, then that would be right, but a job? He needs to understand that you're trying, and stop the bullstit. If he is that childish, then let him leave. You can't help it if you don't get the job...It's not like you can just snap your fingers and be where he wants you to be.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 11:12 PM on May. 8, 2010