Have you ever lost a pet that you loved so much it felt like your heart was shattered?

Hi! I was wondering if there were any pet lovers out there that lost a pet you loved so much that your heart felt like it was totally shattered? It doesn't matter what kind of pet it was. I would love to hear your story!

gailvereen

Asked by gailvereen at 12:00 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Pets

• yes i have... as an adult and as a child.... and your heart does shatter. when I talk to my dad in heaven I ask him to please take care of Stormy for me. She is always in my thoughts. I feel your loss and so sorry.
    shelly168

Answer by shelly168 at 12:09 AM on May. 9, 2010

• In January, my family and I had to put our 13 year old Collie down. She got some kind of infection in her sinuses that the vet couldn't get cleared up and she started having unexplainable seizures. It was horrible to see. We got her when I was 8 years old and damnit I loved that dog so much. The last few months of her life though, I felt like she was starving for attention and she wasn't getting enough of it. I had just had my son so I hardly pained any attention to her anymore and yelled at her alot for getting too close to my son when he was a newborn. Now I regret it because she was just curious and wanted to meet him. My mom, dad, and I all stayed in the room when her when the vet put her down. It was very peaceful but unbelievably sad. Its only been a few months and I still miss her alot. Her ashes are on the mantel at my parent's house. My dad still is having a hard time about it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:10 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Yes, I have.
    My dad rescued a mutt .. I named her Princess. I had her for years. My dad passed away when I was about 13 .. about 4 yrs ago we had to make a decision to let her go b/c she was very sick and coughing up blood. I was devastated, I felt like she was the last piece of my dad that I had left...and even though she was in extreme pain, I couldn't let her go. I cried every night for weeks b/c she used to sleep with me at night ... I miss her tremendously.
    [And she was a Mommy - so Happy Mother's Day to my Princess - : ) ]
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:12 AM on May. 9, 2010

• about a year ago i adopted a dog from the local shelter. he was the biggest dog there. i'm talking 150 lbs! and he was my big baby! i love him so much. my dh and i split up for a while and he was my man. i spent all my time with him. he stayed inside, despite his size. then i had to move. and i couldnt take him. he lives with my mom now in the same house, 15 hrs away. he is still alive and healthy, just old, about 10. but i miss him so much. in the 9 months i spent with him i got so attached. he is still my Big Mac, but i dont ever see him.he was the only dog i have ever considered "mine"
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:15 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I've lost a few, that did that. May 8th, was the day I had to put my Golden retriever to sleep, 8 years ago. My family had adopted her when I was 15, but she was my shadow. Zippy went everywhere with me, even to work. She was 6 years old when we adopted her and 16 when she left my side. I was devistated, she was the first that I had to make the decision for. She was there for me through so much. I don't know what I would have done without her when my daughter was born. My husband was on the road a lot back then. She had been my only dog and when she was gone it broke my heart everytime i walked through my front door and she was not there to greet me. She touch many lives because she had earned her CGC and was able to visit nursing homes. I got so many sympathy cards when they learned of her passing. She was a special girl who will always hold a special place in my heart. That sounds pretty corny, I know.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:16 AM on May. 9, 2010

• YEP. When we had to put my dog down that I'd had since I was 11, he was 15 years old! I begged for a dog for the 1st 11 years of my life, he was my best friend :( That was 2.5 years ago and I still think about him all the time.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:08 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I have had a few like that :( There was a span of two years where several of my pets did not have to be put down but were literally killed, two were killed by coyotes in the night (a pig and a goat two separate incidents) and those things haunt me. One in particular, my cat, was killed and left on my bed for me to find at 2am was my sweetest most loving cat, I was thinking about her last night actually and her death was like two years ago now. Losing her at all was bad enough but the guilt surrounding the circumstances of her death really haunt me. I couldn't even go to work for two days and to THIS day I still mourn her. I have no ability to cope with the deaths of a pet anymore. My animal companions mean the world to me and losing them in any way is world shattering.
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 8:11 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Just a couple of weeks ago I lost my best little buddy ever. He was a nine year old budgie named Lucius that I got from the pet store when he was still a baby. I'll never forget taking him on the bus to my mom's office and looking in his little carrier and seeing that beady black eye staring back at me- no fear, just inquisitive. It was the strangest thing, but as soon as I had him in his cage, I was able to get him to perch on my finger. By that night, I had him out of the cage and he was just fine. After that, he was always attached to me. He would ride all over the house on my shoulder and sing and talk and give kisses and demand kisses back. He would snuggle and give all the love in the world.

He was the sweetest little bird ever, and I will never forget him or find another little bird like him. I still love him and am still sad over his passing, even though he lived a long life for a birdy.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:34 PM on May. 9, 2010

• yes i have and i have never forgotton him. and unfortunately this saturday i have to put sdown my twelve year old pom. i am devastated all ready. prolly spend the whole wknd in bed crying till i get sick... oh my heart hurts so bad...
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 1:20 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes I have my friend. On Feb 9, 2009 at 7:36 pm I lost my Zbee and to this day I cry for her. I miss her so much. She was a mamas girl all the way. So smart and such a loving baby. I had her 12 years, got her at 4 months old. I don't believe I'll ever stop missing her or crying over her. Her name was Zena and she sure fit the name, but I always called her Zbee or baby. She was a chi-terrier mix. None better than my little girl. Hugs to you and hope things get better for both of us.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 12:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2010