Did you leave food for your letter carrier today?

If so, thank you, thank you and thank you! I am a letter carrier that picked up that food today that has now made its way to our counties local food bank. I want to share with you gals,,,this program started 18 yrs ago. We came back from our routes and there was no one there to help us. We stayed as volunteers on our own time and sorted the food out and waited for the big trucks to come. Today,,and probably for the past 8 yrs,,there has been a whole group of people waiting for us when we get back...today it was a church group, they high fived us and grabbed all the food for us from the back of our vehicles, children grabbing bags of food to take to the sorters,,,way to go fellow brother and sister letter carriers,,we kept this thing going till the calvary arrived and it is such a wonderful day for so many who will be able to feed their children and themselves again!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i didnt know anything about this! if i had i would have for sure!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:24 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Me and DH had to go to the store and buy some stuff. We bought enough to fill up the sack but we didnt have any clothes for the other donation tho.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:36 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Yea... we did! I almost forgot and I ran out in my bare feet to stick it there before the mail person came!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:42 AM on May. 9, 2010

• No, but a few days ago a couple people were standing at the entrance to Walmart handing out flyer's asking for specific stuff for our food bank. My kids and I went and bought one of each thing on the list (about 18 dollars). We noticed a BUNCH of other people walking around with the same list and buying those items too! It was very cool! By the time we got back to the front, the previously empty containers/plastic storage bins were already half full :)

(my kids added a few of their favorite non perishable items to list even though they weren't on the list. They thought other kids would like to get the same "treats" that they get. I thought that was cool that they were thinking like that as we shopped. They are 11 and 4)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:42 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I'm sorry, no, I wasn't home and forgot about it. DH is a rural sub, but he hasn't been doing for quite a year yet so we've never been involved from the USPS side of it either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I meant to but I'm still not used to the earlier time our new mail person comes by. We used to get mail at 2pm, now it is 10am. I will bring my bag of food to the food bank later in the week. I was wondering if I could have brought it to the post office. Do you know?
    Anonymous

• Yep we did!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Op here,,yes bring it on down to the PO,,,the shop steward will take it down to union hall and they will take it to the food bank. We always have a left over bin in the break room that needs to get shipped out. Fyi,,,letter carriers food drive is the Saturday before Mothers Day,,,and its annual,,although Im starting to think it should be BI-annual,,,lol,,,,great work ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on May. 9, 2010

• damn you made me cry. i donated. I think putting a bag a food by the mailbox is the least we could all do. my mom does a food outreach program thru the church she attends and I know how hard it is to get good food for these needy people
    Stephanie808

Answer by Stephanie808 at 1:44 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Yes, I did. My youngest daughter & I set three bags out by the mail box. She asked me why we were doing that & I told her "So the mailman can give the food to people who have none". She said "That is nice. Everyone needs food". She's 3.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:00 AM on May. 9, 2010