Will this feeling will ever go away?

i have 2 daughters just turned 18 and will be all done high school in 2 months and one of them has a kid and i told her as soon as school is done she can move out and get her own place and now me and my husband just her a place for her and our grandson they can move into july.1 and now knowing that my 2 daughter r at the point where they can move out and im now feeling sad inside and i dont know if i could let them go and would this feeling im having will ever go away? it feeling like im losing my baby

Jenny_Honey

Asked by Jenny_Honey at 12:49 AM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My relationship with my mother got better after I moved out at the age of 25. You appreciate eachother more and when you aren't always in eachother's space it really does improve things. You get to be your daughter's friend now that your mothering her isn't needed (we always need our moms but not to do everything for us anymore).
    Hang in there :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:41 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I'm so sorry, mamma :( I don't have any experience with this, as my daughter is only 2, but I can tell you that your daughters leaving the house is what you have worked for these last ump-teen years. That they are stable enough to do so is a testament to the awesome job you've done raising them. And it doesn't mean that they are no longer your daughters, or that you will never see them again. It's a change in your relationship, for sure, but it's not the end of anything.

My mom and I got along a LOT better after I moved out. If you're fighting at all (like most teens and their parents do) then this will ease that tension and you will find more joy in the time you DO spend together.

I know this has to be very hard, but you've done a great job! Just remember that it's not the end. It's the beginning of a whole new chapter for you and your daughters!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on May. 9, 2010

• this is all new to you but if they don't have to leave they don't think of your grandson as they get back on their own to feet then they can leave but yes this feeling will go away as soon as you know in your heart they are ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I WAS 22 YEARS OLD WHEN I LEFT MY MOMS HOUSE. THE REASON WAS, WE WERE SAVING FOR A HOUSE WHICH WE BUILT AND ARE NOW LIVING IN. i NOW HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. I AM NOW 41 AND MY MOM STILL TILL THIS DAY WISHES THAT I COULD MOVE BACK IN. SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION YOU WILL MISS YOUR GIRLS NO MATTER WHAT AGE THEY ARE. I KNOW THAT ONE DAY I WILL FACE THIS TO AND I WILL BE VERY SAD. I WISH YOU A VERY "HAPPY MOTHERS DAY".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 9, 2010

• My two babies are under 3, but I am already preparing myself for what you are going through. I have read some books on this subject and learned to accept more and more that I do not own my children and they have their own life and I am only here to help them - not the other way.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 1:00 AM on May. 9, 2010

• awww i am sorry to hear that, I am the youngest of 5 so I was my moms baby. when i left home she felt so sad that i made sure i called her and came to visit every now and then. even now we live 5 mins away i still come by to see her and have my girls spend the night with her and my dad.. maybe u can arrange something like that so you wont feel lonely.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:09 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Ugh,,I have a soon to be senior in high school. I am starting to get all sorts of e-mails about the up and coming graduation next year. The years have really flown havent htey momma? Seems like yesterday dd was a little girl,,and now she is all grown up. I dont know what my dd has planned after graduation,,,,rent is so high, Im thinking a lot more of our kids are coming back home after leaving the nest then ever before, b/c they realize how expensive everything is now, and they cant make it without our help. I do hope my dd spreads her wings,,if she is ready too. But,,in the meantime, Im not holding my breath,,lol,,,take it one day at a time,,,,I so believe in the revolving front door,,and if your kid is not a bad kid and trouble maker,,,then why not,,ya know,,,,let her spread her wings and try anyway,,,good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on May. 9, 2010