Double Ear Infection 16 months

My son woke up friday morning screaming and crying non stop immediately I knew it was an ear infection b/c usually I can calm him down easily. Well we took him to immediate care and they told me it was a double ear infection :( Prescribed suprex antibiotics and told me to interchange between tylenol and motrin every 2 hours. Well he cried all night long even though i gave him the antibiotics and meds. Well a friend of mine told me to get some sweet oil and put a couple drops in his ear to help ease the pain more. My question is, how often should I use this to help? Is there anything else I can do to help him? I feel HORRIBLE that my baby is in so much pain. Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated. He is 16 months old too.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:59 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had *** Massive***ear infections.. painful as ever growing up!!!!

Outside the amoxicilin, the BEST thing in the world for an ear ache is.... A hot cloth on the ear. The younger the child you can make it less hot. For me personally I like it so hot it almost burns, because for some reason that against your ear just draws out all of the pain out of the ear. It takes away the urge to itch inside your ear too.

I personally never do cold, there's something about the heat going in the ear.

You can also use tea bags instead of clothes, squeeze out juice of course... warm that it'll fit perfect on the ear.

Trust me try it. I know from personal experience. I had my ear tubes changed over 8 times because of how horrible my ears were. This is the only relief for me.

Good luck, sorry your little one has to go through this. let me know how it works out for you. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:33 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Not sure what sweet oil is, but I used pressed garlic in olive oil.
    Another suggestion: warm up a bottle of water and wrap it in a small cloth and place it next to his ear. If that doesn't help - try a cold one. Depends on the person.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 1:04 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Your ped can prescribe a pain relieving drop for the ear. Until then I agree completely with the warm washcloth on the ear. Make sure not to get any water in his ear though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:43 AM on May. 9, 2010