Still nursing my daughter who is 15 months...

I'm still nursing Brooke who turned 1 in Feb. Its mostly at night and maybe for about 15-20 minutes altogether in the day. She can go to bed without nursing (she spent the night at grammys last night for the first time being away and didnt nurse.) Grammy also watched her this morning. So i didnt nurse her for about 24 hours. and when i did, my boobs were extremely hard and she only nursed for about 5 minutes...

I'd like to wean her, but dont want to suddenly just STOP. But maybe i should? she does seem to be loosing interest in it.

well my question is, how should i quit nursing??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:37 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I only nursed to 10 months but my son cut down to only nursing 2-3 times a day and eventually only in the morning and the evening. I switched him to bottles (in your case I wouldn't do a bottle at all obviously), my boobs never got hard or anything, no pain. You did make it really far and that is great, if she only nurses for such a small amount of time, I'd just stop if it were me, as long as she seems ok with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on May. 9, 2010

• yeah she never took a bottle lol, but she uses her cup! Actually just now i offered her a boobie and she favored her cup instead.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:45 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I would just slowy make the sessions shorter, then skip every other session,then maybe skip on every other night, then try for every 3rd. I used cold compresses i helped slow the milk production.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:50 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Stop slowly- one to two sessions a week. That way you can avoid engorgement and the risk for mastitis, and she will be able to adjust :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:53 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I agree with preacherskid!
    Go slowly or it will painful & its a easier adjustment for you dd.. It took me about 1-2 mo to quit nursing my dd (18-20m).... The last time she nursed (night time feeding) it was so hard not to cry.. I realized this was an end of a period in her lil life... she was growing up! *sniff*... lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:17 PM on May. 9, 2010

• What preachers kid said
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:16 PM on May. 9, 2010