I was wondering (Question for Pagans)

What do you think of the more organized paths of Wicca.. ie Gardinarian or Alexandrian. I have heard good things and not so good things about both and I am looking for other peoples opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• DH is a member of the Golden Dawn. At first I thought it was silly to organize and have such strict rules. But after really studying it with him I understand how beneficial a system of magick is for some people and the importance of having a community of people of faith.

It's not a Wiccan sect of magick though. It's more Rosicrucian.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:52 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I have had one experience with a Gardinarian, and it wasn't a good one.... but, there are bad seeds in every bunch... (This one told me I was not a Wiccan, nor any form of Pagan, because I am solitary and have never had a formal initiation)
    But, from what I have read, they are structured and can be quite fun to belong to...
    I have no issue with any organized path, it is what ever suits the practioner..
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:11 AM on May. 9, 2010

• IMO Gardinarian is probably the best path for some who use to be close to the Church. (the set up isn't a lot different), not someone is a self practioner.

I never researched Alexandrian so I couldn't say.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:44 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I am against all forms of strict organization.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:40 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I am not a fan of any Wiccan path personally. I do understand that they work for some, but they were just not right for me. To many rules that I didn't feel to ring true in my heart b/c I am more a spiritual Pagan vs being a religious one. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:56 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I'm with NightPhoenix on this. I am a solitary practitioner. I feel that a person's path is a very personal thing and cannot thrive in an organized atmosphere. You cannot develop your own inner goddess nor your own path by following a path set by a high priest or priestess. The path they choose is theirs. The different wiccan disciplines are no different, in my opinion, than being a part of one of the world's many religions. Someone else is telling you what you are and where you are. There are some people who feel more secure in a structured environment, with others telling them how to do things and giving them validation thru degrees and titles. I am not one of those people. I own my own power. But I do not judge those who enjoy the security and fellowship of a coven.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:07 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I don't have any issues with them. I think for many people the strictness can be an asset. Many people grew up in strict religious environments and are more comfortable in one. But for me, it's not right. I'm solitary and very eclectic in my beliefs and practices, that's what has proven to be right for me, but not everyone. I would love to find a study group or even a small coven, but those tend not to be options for me because my beliefs and practices are to broad and because I'm in a very Christian area. For those who have those options available, and are comfortable in them, great - good for them... It's just not an option for me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I know they arent for me but its a path that is up to the individual and if they are more comfortable in more structured enviroments then more power to them.

I was in a super structured enviroment for 34 yrs, I much prefer feeling free to express myself without worrying about it bugging someone or getting reemed for it in any way, shape, form.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:23 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Very well put witchqueen... you put what I was thinking into words so much better then I did! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:34 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Witchqueen you have done it again....your words are exactly what I was thinking.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:34 PM on May. 9, 2010