How do you get your toddler to clean up toys?

Amanda takes stuff out and i end up picking them up. very tired of this she is almost 4.

jekr433

Asked by jekr433 at 7:52 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i just tell mine that they can't move on until they clean up... it takes a while, but if i keep pestering them, they do clean up. there have been a few times that they end up having to go to bed because they won't listen. turning off all distractions helps, for sure (no TV.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:06 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I told my daughter (when she was that age) that if she didn't pick them up I would, and if I had to, she wouldn't be getting them back for a while.. She didn't believe me the first time so she went a day without her toys.. She picked them up whenver she was told after that..
    Why should she pick them up if she knows you will do it for her?
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 8:22 AM on May. 9, 2010

• The rule in or house is when I announce I'm cleaning up, any toys left on the floor or not where they are supposed to be are going to get thrown out. I PRETENDED to throw out some favorite toys, and after a few days we "found" them. It only took a few times for them to realize they needed to clean up their toys if they wanted to keep them.

We also sing the "Clean up song" or I make it into a game as in "whoever picks up/puts away the most toys wins a special treat." As they pick up something they mark it on a chalkboard to "keep score."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Clean up starts when they are little. Also they should always put away toys at others house, some parents don't think of this and just leave....
    Anyway, I do the same as Grace...they can't move on to other toys unless what they have out are cleaned up. If there is a snack on the way then clean up first. If one child refuses the others clean up their share and get the snack. Or if there is nothing offered then they just have to clean up. I am a grandma and I have one little guy that wants to be stubborn and sit while the other kids clean up...he is 4. He ends up in a time out in my office and his share is left for him. I let his mom know that when she comes she might have to wait for him. He usually gets with the program. I think that he refuses so he can stay longer actually.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 9:11 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I will ask them to put their toys away when they're done playing. If they did not listen, they know the toys will not be in their room ever again. I would take them and hid in my closet, eventually forgot all about it months later and found em again- and then my kids do not care about those toys anymore, so we donate them to charity ;)
    myklexi

Answer by myklexi at 9:16 AM on May. 9, 2010

This is what i did with my daughter when she was that age....and it worked!!  Her name is Amanda too lol

inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 9:24 AM on May. 9, 2010

• How?? You tell her to pick them up. She cannot play with any more toys until the last batch is picked up. When she wants something, say a snack, the answer is NO until she picks up her toys. They learn quick. I have never had a problem getting my kids to put their toys away. They are 10 and 5. Also, I refuse to pick up their toys. Sometimes, they can't find something, and I just say "Well I guess you should have put it away then."
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:39 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I tell my 2 year old that he has an hour to clean up his toys. Any left on the floor goes in the garbage. When the hour is up and he still hasn't done anything. I pretend to start throwing away. He will then start to pick them up, I've only had to do that three times. Now he just cleans when i say to.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 10:46 AM on May. 9, 2010

• show her where ou want her to put her toysd away when shes done playing with them. And tell her to put them there. maybe she can pick up her toys to the " clean up " song. that seemed to work with my kids .at the time.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:47 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I just tell her no more fun until the toys she has out are cleaned up. If she throws a fit, I tell her fine mommy will clean them up but you won't see those toys for a really long time.
    That usually does the trick, I don't have to do it very often though!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:41 AM on May. 9, 2010