Are you delaying the MMR shot?

My son had his shot at 13 months of age. Some moms say that I could've waited until my son was 2 years of age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• MMR shot almost killed me. I was hospitalized for about 6 weeks with tubes in my head. We do not ever plan to get MMR shots for any of our children.

The MMR vaccine has been linked to autism. Here is a very new study that has not been discredited. It's very science-lingo-heavy from a science journal.

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Scientific-Link-to-Autism-Identified-61602-1/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:27 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I didn't with my first son....when he was almost 3 he was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum.

I DID with my second son (and spread each of the 3 vaccines in the MMR out over 9 months)...at 3 1/2 he was also diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum.

The "MMR vaccine causes Autism" debate has been DISCREDITED dozens of times over. There is NO connection! Autism is a GENETIC disability.

Feel free to spread out any and all vaccines. But if your child is autistic, he will have BEEN autistic since birth...it's just that most parents (including me) don't know what to look for in their infants--especially when the cases are mild, and in mild cases, the children may have appeared to have been "late bloomers" in speech, when in reality it is a large part of autism.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I delayed the MMR, mostly because I think it's a triple shot already and didn't want to give it at the same time as some other immunizations he was getting that day (varicella and one other - I don't remember), so we're delaying it until his 18 month appt. You can delay it forever, there's no "rule" that says it has to be done at 2, or any other age. I think vaccines overall are a good idea, just wish they weren't so early and were more spread out!

Answer by missanc at 11:34 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Nope. Didn't delay it. No need to IMO. Then again, I realize that autism is genetic and my kids were going to have it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:55 AM on May. 9, 2010

• here is something i found a few days ago that you may like to look at
    http://www.hopefromholly.com/hollyslaw.html
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:10 PM on May. 9, 2010

• You can delay MMR and any vaccine until the age of 2 or any age. We are no longer vaccinating out children after our child had a reaction to one of her shots. And it wasn't the MMR. there is more to be concerned about than JUST Autism when it comes to vaccines. And what I find interesting in all this Autism and MMR debate is that studies have only tested for a link between MMR and Autism. What about a culmination of all the loads and loads of vaccines we pump into babies that comes to a head with the MMR. No studies are looking at the link of ALL the vaccines working together. I believe it is a combo of genetics and outside contaminates (wether through vax or other means) that mix together to manifest as Autism.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 1:59 PM on May. 9, 2010

• im not doing it at all.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:41 PM on May. 9, 2010