Should it be called Parent's Day instead of Mother's Day?

n 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association.[3][4]

"She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world."[3]

This is also the spelling used by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in the law making official the holiday in the U.S., by the U.S. Congress on bills,[5][6] and by other U.S. presidents on their declarations.[7]

Common usage in English language also dictates that the ostensibly singular possessive "Mother's Day" is the preferred spelling, although "Mothers' Day" (plural possessive) is not unheard of.

wikipedia

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have a grandparents day, fathers day, and mothers day.

What else do you want? Step parents get put into those categories among all the people Ive ever known or talked to.

There is NO NEED for any more "days".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:54 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Really? We should concern ourselves with where an apostrophe goes?! LOL

When I celebrate Mother's Day, I am honoring EACH mother I know, so the singular possessive is perfectly acceptable. I am not celebrating all mothers in general (plural possessive). Even in households with "two mommies," EACH mother can still be honored with the singular possessive version.

Happy Mother's Day!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 AM on May. 9, 2010

• They could have a parents day but with a Mothers and a Fathers day already, why? It doesn't matter the meaning of it. You can celebrate your mother or yoiu can celebrate all mothers. It's an individual thing.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:16 AM on May. 9, 2010

• In 1994 President Bill Clinton signed into law the resolution unanimously adopted by the U. S. Congress establishing the fourth Sunday of every July as Parents' Day, a perennial day of commemoration similar to Mother's Day and Father's Day. According to the Congressional Resolution, Parents’ Day is established for "recognizing, uplifting, and supporting the role of parents in the rearing of children."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Mothers day is in may & fathers day is in June, works for me.' Happy Mothers Day!
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:27 AM on May. 9, 2010

• No parents day!! If both parents are being celebrated who does the gift buying and presents or whatever each family does?

This morning I was showered with gift and made breakfast by my Husband and come June the favor will be returned!!!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 8:46 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Oh yeah and the chocolate cake LOL!!!!

pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 8:47 AM on May. 9, 2010

• no screw that nonsense happy mommas day :)!
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 9:21 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I love having Mother's day! My kids get me a icecream cake from dairy queen every year! Lol!

Dad get's treated on his day.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:29 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Why? We have Mother's Day in May, and they have Father's Day in June. No one is getting ripped off here. Each gender of parent has their own day on which they get treated extra-special. I see nothing wrong with it the way it is.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:29 AM on May. 9, 2010