Why do Latin Moms opt for "white" baby names for their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would think that many people who are new to America from various other countries name their babies with "fitting in" in mind. I know my father's parents were from Italy but they named their children American versions of the names they chose because they wanted people to be able to say them. I know many times people modify the names for that reason. I think I would probably do the same if I was living in a different place and I knew my kids would be attending school, etc.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:40 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Because it is their baby and they can name it whatever they want..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 8:19 AM on May. 9, 2010

• What is the difference? Its not your child.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:24 AM on May. 9, 2010

• wow what a racist comment! What is a " white" name. When did names start becoming certain colors? Why can't they just be names? Wow!
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 8:26 AM on May. 9, 2010

Then. What is the best way to ask the question? OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Because they can name their child whatever name they want. What makes you think that children should be named by their skin color? You must be one stupid person. I can't believe that there are still some "IGNORANT" people out there. You are probably one of those people that have no education and love to discriminate others. You know what? No matter what other countries the moms are from, AT LEAST , WE SPEAK MORE THAN THREE languages, which you barely speak "English". Go get a a job. Loser!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 9, 2010

• right, why cant kids just have names, why do they have to go but the culture?
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 8:40 AM on May. 9, 2010

• i know plenty of "WHITE KIDS" with spanish names. have you ever looked in the baby name finder? One name can come from many differentt origins.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:41 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I'm going to say this to avoid any misunderstandings: My two sons have "white" names because of my dh's
    I could've used "American" names instead of "white" names.op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 9, 2010

• there is no good way to ask it. maybe you could just explain what you mean by white names. and what you think latin moms should name their babies. that question makes you sound racist.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 8:42 AM on May. 9, 2010