What was your child's/children's first dentist appointment like?

Did they scream? Did they let the dentist look in their mouth? Did they get their teeth cleaned? How was it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was probably about 2 and a half. I'm scared to death of the dentist, but I took him to a pediatric specialist and he HELPED me not to be so nervous. My son did fine, went every six months....no problem with him and never a cavity. He's 19 now, goes to my dentist and recently had his wisdom teeth removed. Still no cavities.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:53 AM on May. 9, 2010

• First, the hygenist put Brian the bear in a chair, and she and Alyssa counted his teeth. Then Alyssa sat in the chair and had her teeth counted. The dentist looked in her mouth, flossed and polished, and that was about it.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 AM on May. 9, 2010

• We see a pediatric dentist so they do everything they can to make it comfortable. They have movies at each chair. Our dentist feels that the first trip is just for getting used to the dentist (unless there is a major problem). So, he counts their teeth, shows them the instruments, and does just a basic exam. Both of my girls did just fine with it and have no problem going back since.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:05 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Let's see...

Our appointment was at 1230p, and we got there around 1215p. The receptionist handed me the paperwork, and when I went to give her his insurance card, she told me they couldn't make a copy of it until I had given her the paperwork. I spent the next 30-40 minutes filling out the paperwork and trying to keep a two year old from having a tantrum. I turned in the paperwork, and we sat and waited. There were toys to play with, but not a lot, so he quickly got bored. At 215p, we were finally called back to the exam room or whatever it's called. At that point, my son was ready to go home (not to mention, it was nap time), so he wasn't very cooperative. The dentist seemed a bit surprised by this. I haven't been back since.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:36 AM on May. 9, 2010

• HORRIBLE!!! My advice is make sure you check out the doc before going!! We made an appt with a pediatric dentist thinking they would be great, We walked in and it was not a kid friendly looking place, then the hygentist was rude, the dentist was not very good with kids. It was not a good experience at all. We switches dentists and found a really good pediatric dentist, her office is bright and colorful and she is the nicest person you could meet. Again I just recommend going in and checking the place out before takeing your child there.
    mommytoashley

Answer by mommytoashley at 12:53 PM on May. 9, 2010

• my daughter was about 2.5yrs old. and she was fine..the dentist was awesome with her, mind you, i took her to a "kids" dentist, and they do everything with lasers...(if theres problems) but ya she did fine, they brushed her teeth, flossed, they TRIED to do xrays..but she just kept gagging with that thing in her mouth, so they couldnt..and they actually havent ever been able to do xrays because she gags to much..(shes 6) she goes every year, and its about time for her to go again, so hopefully this year she can get the xrays done!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:53 PM on May. 9, 2010

• My husband just took our 3 year old and he said she did great. She let them clean and floss and look at her teeth. He said they had a bunch of stuff for kids there and they were really good with kids. It wasn't a pediatric dentist just a family dentist. I agree with going before hand to check a place out or take your child along with you to one of your appointments to show him or her that is nothing to worry about.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:15 PM on May. 9, 2010

• i just took my one year old and it went great. they brushed her teeth (which was more like baby chewing on the toothbrush) and made sure the teeth she had were alright and that there was no infection in her gums. she enjoyed it...or at least didn't totally hate it
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 1:22 PM on May. 9, 2010

• It was awesome! We went to a pediatric dentist with the COOLEST office (full murals, theme rooms, video games, movie screens in the ceilings (so they can watch TV while the dentist does their job)

The first visit here is always a "Fun" visit. The nurses play games, one painted my DD's finger nails, and they showed them around. towards the end, they asked to see her teeth and since they were Jolly-good-friends by that point, my DD obliged. They just took a peek and poked around just a little (not that they did anything, it was just a test to see what she would do) Then they gave her a balloon and a new tooth brush and told her that the next time she came they wanted to brush her teeth for her and let the dentist take a really good look at her teeth. Since she had such a great time, she wasn’t worried at all when we went back for her “real” appointment!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:46 PM on May. 9, 2010

• My son's first dental exam happened at 2 weeks old. I knew their pediatric dentist before I had children, so when she came to see my DS for the first time, she felt his gums, and told me to make sure and bring him in after he gets his first tooth. He saw her again at 11 months, and every 6 months since then. He is 6 now, and all FIVE of my children see her now.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 7:06 PM on May. 9, 2010