I had gestational diabetes with both of my first two children....we are ttc and I want to know...will I FOR SURE have gd with third baby, or is there anything I can do to avoid it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you have had it before, you will have it with any future pregnancies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:39 AM on May. 9, 2010

• Having it one, or even twice, is not a guarantee that you will have it with future pregnancies, but it is very likely. My sis had it with her first, but not subsequent kids. I had it with my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and currently have it with my 5th. When I found out I was pregnant I went ahead and started on the diet, hoping to avoid having it but it didn't help - here I am!

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on May. 9, 2010

• It isn't a 100% guarantee that you will have it with your next pregnancy, but your chances of having GD with a 3rd pregnancy after having it with the first two are many times higher than with someone that hasn't had it at all.

Best thing to do is to go ahead and start monitoring your sugar levels if you still have your testing equipment and stick with the GD diet that you should have followed to the letter with your first two GD pregnancies. The hope is to keep yourself off insulin and control everything through diet alone.

And know that your chances of getting type 2 diabetes increase close to 50% by having just one GD pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• Chances are yes you probubly will. If your pancreas couldnt make enough insulin to keep up the other times it probubly wont now. You may get lucky and not get it though. I agree with the previous posters.Just start eating your diet now. I had it with my son starting at 16 weeks. If i found out i was pregnant id just start my diet and monitor my glucose levels here and there.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:52 PM on May. 9, 2010