can baby's first food be bananas?

shes 6m and ebf, i already bought the organic bananas

but it seems everything i'm reading says no fruits first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's fine. They will naturally gravitate to sweet things, regardless of the order in which they are introduced. My kids all ate Avocado as their first food- if you mix it w/ mashed banana, it tastes like caramel pudding!!! seriously, nothing to be concerned about in the order of veggies/fruits. They'll take a few times of trying something new to accept it anyway, it's simply a matter of reintroducing things, even if they didn't like it the first few times. Eventually they'll eat it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:56 PM on May. 9, 2010

• They say no fruits first, because if you start with fruits, she'll get that taste of sweet, and may be opposed to trying vegatables. My sons first food was sweet patatos, and he is now 20 months old, and eats anything and everything . Btw he LOVES fruits and vegetables, their his FAV :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 1:57 PM on May. 9, 2010

• It's fine. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:59 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Bananas are a common allergen and are closely related to the tree they use to make latex and grass and avocado. Even though bananas and avocados are both soft foods, they aren't wise choices in the first year. Either one can lead to a grass and latex allergy.

I'm allergic to bananas, avocados, grass, and latex. The latex allergy is a real pain any time I need medical or dental care. I see an allergist to get weekly shots for grass. He told me not to feed my children bananas or avocados at all in the first year.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:59 PM on May. 9, 2010

• sure its fine...anything mushy lol nommm nommm nommmmmmmm
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 2:00 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Thriving- I hate to contradict you, but avocado allergies are EXTREMELY rare, and it is regarded as one of the LEAST allergenic foods to initially introduce. Unless there is a history of food allergies, bananas are also regarded as commonly safe. Like any other thing, there is ALWAYS a risk when exposing a child to a new food, or experience. BUT, that is why we, as mothers, use our watchful eyes, and take account of anything they DO react to... You will never know until it is tried.

ALSO, EBF babies have a much, much, much lower instance of food reactions, because they have (through breast milk) already contacted what they will be consuming- How an EBF baby reacts to mommas intake, paints the picture of how they will react to foods on their own.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:11 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Bananas are a common allergen and are closely related to the tree they use to make latex and grass and avocado. Even though bananas and avocados are both soft foods, they aren't wise choices in the first year. Either one can lead to a grass and latex allergy"

This is why when you introduce foods you're supposed to only give them one fruit/vegetable for about four days at a time. That way, is they happen to have an allergic reaction, you'll know what it's coming from. Personally, I've always heard from doctors that bananas and avocados are two of the best foods to start off with.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:11 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I started with veggies but thats because I didnt want his first foods to be too sweet. I never heard that you shouldnt start with fruits, other than giving them a sweet tooth.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:13 PM on May. 9, 2010

• i also don't consider bananas to be THAT sweet
    Anonymous

• all 3 of mine started on bananas and avocados. they are all happy and healthy veggie lovers!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:48 PM on May. 9, 2010