How Can I Get My Daughter To Hold Still And Actually Eat At Lunch/Dinner time?

She'll sit still for a few minutes and then get's distracted or looses interest. then she climbs her way out of her chair and runs off. She's only 1 year and 2 months old, how can i get her to behave?

MommaKayleeBear

Asked by MommaKayleeBear at 5:33 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't know how to get her to sit still, but climbing out of her chair is unacceptable. My LO tried to climb into her highchair last night. Is she strapped in? If she isn't then I would find a way to do that. At my friend's house I use one of her husbands belts and strap her into the chair sitting on top of phone books. It works great. I am having to problem of trying to get mine to actually eat anything at dinner.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:52 PM on May. 9, 2010

• There is MAKE HER SIT, you know. Like COALA said, strap her in the chair if you have to.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 PM on May. 9, 2010

• strap her in a high chair. but at a year old, it's hard to keep their attention on anything.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:13 PM on May. 9, 2010

• OMG I can't believe there are mothers out there who want to strap a child and hold her hostage. She will eat if you put it on the plate. She's one for goodness sakes. She's living life and exploring her world. She thinks that's more important than eating. Let her have fun and enjoy being a little child. She can sit like a robot and "behave" when she's an adult. If you stifle her or tie her down it will give her a sense of helplessness and frustration. She won't sit and eat and behave, she'll cry and misbehave even more. Just enjoy her. She'll grow up soon enough. Save the rope for later at bedtime with dad. Tie him up and have your way with him! Woo Hoo!!!!

Answer by admckenzie at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Try to calm her down. If she doesn't want to eat, then take the food away from her. She'll get it eventually. It worked for me.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 6:02 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Maybe she's not that hungry enough or,as in my daughter's case,she feels full after a few bites and then wants to play.You need some patience with this.At first when my DD would get up and go, I'd leave a plate with a mouthful or two close to where she was playing.She'd notice it and eat and then naturally ask for more.When that happened I'd say :"there's more on your high chair if you want it".Sometimes she'd ignore this-meaning she really wasn't that hungry,or other times she'd come right back and sit for a while eating some more each time.Well about a few weeks later she started comprehending that it was ok to finish her meal and then play.My DD#2 never gets up after a few bites,but needs social interaction during the whole meal.And she's a VERY active child.So the rule is find out what works with your LO by experimenting.You can't force a child to eat.When she gets hungry try reminding her that the chair is where we eat.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 7:15 AM on May. 10, 2010