What is molluscom?

pinky640

Asked by pinky640 at 7:08 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's a viral skin disease or of the mucous membranes.
    Anonymous

• It's an STD...but curable, with medical treatment.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:12 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection of the skin that causes discrete papules that may be mistaken for warts. While warts are caused by human papilloma viruses (HPV), molluscum contagiosum is caused by a pox virus. Most adults have come in contact with this virus and have developed an immunity to it; therefore, the rash is most often seen in children.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 7:20 PM on May. 9, 2010

• My daughters all have had this. Our ped says that you can get it anywhere, shopping carts, toliets, ect. You can prescribe Retin A cream but it causes ALOT of burning to the area (we tried it for my six year old, the first to get it and it was horrible!) They can also burn off the spots but my ped advised against it because it will go away on it's own, it just takes 6-12 months. I hate it too!!!!
    3galsaaf

Answer by 3galsaaf at 10:19 AM on May. 10, 2010

• LoriKeet, it CAN be sexually transmitted but, more often than not, it ISN'T.

OP, it's a pretty common issue among kids and, like lisa89j said, most adults have already developed an immunity. If the treatments are painful for the kids, just ride it out...the issue will clear up eventually and then your kids will have developed an immunity also.

Sorry you're having to deal with this :(
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:38 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My daughter has Molluscum Contagiosum (MC). I found a website that will help you rid of them with common items at home. Check out this website. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_apple_cidar_vinegar_cure_molluscum_contagiosum
    My daughter has MC since last July. using the information from this website has made the disappear. I'm not selling anything I'm just sharing. I've first gave my daughter a bath in apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of Salt on June 17th, 2010. Then just started putting apple cider vinegar on the MC twice a day and now, it's Monday, June 21st, 2010. They are coming to a head and disappearing. Here is a helpful website to understand what MC is. Http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/molluscum/faq/everyone.htm
    I've heard they will go away in a year and found online that it can take up to 6 years to go away. They sell ZymaDerm at Walgreens and it's suppose to rid of MC in about 4 to 8 weeks.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 11:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2010