I am 26 weeks along, and measuring larger!

I'm 26 weeks along, and the doctor measured me, and I measure at 28 weeks! What could this mean?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 7:26 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it can mean that the dr has a slightly different hold on the tape measure, that the baby is in a different position, that you have a full bladder, that the head is not fully in the pelvis... it is not significant unless a pattern develops. So if you go next time and you are 4 weeks ahead, then they might want to see whats going on. Don't worry about it at all. Measuring bellies like this is a statistical thing, and of course some people are going to be at the top end and some at the bottom, it many countries they don't bother with this sort of measuring at all. they feel the belly, check that you have movements and a heartbeat, no measuring tape in sight
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:33 PM on May. 9, 2010

• it probably means you had a period after you first got pregnant
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 7:31 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I was measuring about 1 wk ahead at my 20 wk scan. I also have large babies ( she was 9lb 15oz at birth) so I wasnt surprised to hear that!! You might just have a big baby in there :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:32 PM on May. 9, 2010

• measurements are not accurate. depending on where the baby is at the moment they measured, how much weight you have gained, or how big the baby really is and if the doctor guessed your edd wrong.. your baby could come out and be big, or come out and be average or smaller. you wont know until you have the baby
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:37 PM on May. 9, 2010

• It could mean you either had a period while you were pregnant, you ovulated sooner than you thought you did, or you have a larger baby. None if it means much anyhow, they say give or take 2 weeks on your due date anyhow. At least my doctor did.
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 9:18 PM on May. 9, 2010

• at 32 weeks I was measuring at 40-41 weeks, went back a week later and was back on target. It can just be how the baby was laying.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:47 PM on May. 9, 2010

• My son always measured larger. From fourteen weeks on i was always atleast a week larger. I had polyhydramnios (extra water) and thats what was causing it. If you measure too far ahead they will send you in for an ultrasound to check things. Thats what they did for me to make sure my son wasnt huge when i was 36 weeks measuring at 42 weeks. The ultresound said he was 8lb 11oz at that ultrasound. He was born at 39 weeks weighing 8lb 8oz. Completely normal. Not huge. lol. You may have some extra fluid of something. I really wouldnt worry.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:18 PM on May. 9, 2010