So i heard not to lift heavy things... crawl up on chairs or practically do anything while pregnant... Whats the reall reason why ppl get all wierd about stuff like that?

I am an active person and always have been i dont feel like being pregnant should stop little things like carrying things and stuff im use to. Does this really cause early labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• depending on what the activity is you could wrap the umbilical cord around the baby's neck... and then there is the risk of falling b/c your balance is a little off during the latter part of your pregnancy, ect... ect... ect...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:50 PM on May. 9, 2010

• i moved twice while i was pregnant but i was active my whole life and my dr knew that and gave me the ok, he said as long as you arent doing stuff you arent used to. crawl up on chairs? how does that work? lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:50 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Yes it does. For example, when I was carrying twins they said no vacumming, sweeping or mopping because those activities target muscles in your stomach which can cause contractions.
    Not everyone will have the same limits, but if you start feeling strained at all, or if your having cramping or contractions, then you know you probably shouldn't be doing what your doing. So just let your body tell you what you can and cannot do...and listen to it! :)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:51 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Ok, seriously? activities causing the cord to wrap around the baby's neck is an old wive's tale. NOT true! Your center of gravity is off during the later half of pregnancy so you need to watch that as you can lose your balance more easily. But normal activity is fine.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:52 PM on May. 9, 2010

• your muscles become for relaxed and floppy as pregnancy progresses which means it is way easier to strain or pull muscles, Climbing on chairs means you can fall OFF chairs, and your centre of gravity changes with pregnancy, some ladies have trouble adjusting and so are more inclined to fall. You can still be active, I have a friend who has jogged every day of her pregnancy, no problems, just be aware that your balance and your muscles will change so you need to take care. You'll also be told no soft cheeses or soft serve icecream due to listeria bacteria in the milk, to avoid very hot baths and saunas ( overheat the body and can be fatal to your baby). enjoy your pregnancy LOL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:52 PM on May. 9, 2010

• your balance is affected when youre pregnant. if you lift something and it hurts, put it down. if you dont feel comfortable doing something, dont. really just listen to your body and do what you feel ok with doing, and dont push yourself.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:53 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Ps unless you are on a Gravitron spinning at the speed of light you cannot do any activity that will wrap the umbilical cord around the neck, it is from the baby doing flips, you have no control over that at all.
    I do not recommend going on a Gravitron
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:54 PM on May. 9, 2010

• It depends what you are lifting. Are we talking about bags of cement or are we talking about groceries? Any activity that can put you in harms way, should be considered a risk to baby. If hubby is trying to set down Dr's rules, go with it,,before you know it you will be trying to balance baby in a shopping cart,,trying to find your wallet and holding up a line a mile long at the store,,,while baby starts trying to stand up in chair and starts screaming bloody murder,,its a beautiful picture and one we all can relate too!
    Anonymous

• tHERE ARE GOOD MEDICAL REASONS FOR NOT LIFTING REALLY HEAVY OBJECTS,ETC. AND YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR DOCTOR. BUT IT WON'T M AKE THE UMBILICAL CORD WRAP AROUND THE BABY'S NECK. LOL. jUST BE CAREFUL.
    Anonymous

• I had to stop working at Bath and body works because of all the lifting,stocking,ladder climbing and staying til 3am.They didnt want me to get hurt. I was 6 months along and i always wonder if that is was caused me to be high risk...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:27 PM on May. 9, 2010