Chicken Pox....How would you feel about this...?

So my sister came by today with her daughter who is 14 months old. I have two kids ages 2.5 and 11 months. As she's getting ready to LEAVE she says, "Oh yeah...my daughter's been exposed to chicken pox.." It's like...well umm...it would have been nice to know that BEFORE you came!! Her daughter is in daycare, and all the kids at her daycare that HAVE the chicken pox, have HAD the vaccine for it...and my 11 month hasn't had it yet...I'm kinda pissed...how would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is better that they get the chicken pox themselves than the vaccine. As you can see it isn't all that effective anyway. It would have been nice of her to tell you that ahead of time though.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:02 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I would say thank you. If your child gets them now and gets them over with, it will be better for her in the long run. She can handle a childhood disease better now than as an adult.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:03 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Better to get it over with when they are small.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on May. 9, 2010

• gosh you sound like my sister. kids get sick. they will get over it and be fine, promise!
    Anonymous

• Unlike many of the PP I would be ticked off. My children all have had the vaccine and been exposed but have not gotten chicken pox. They have been exposed 3 times now and nothing has come out of it. So I don't think the vaccine is worthless. I would be mad because she obviously didn't give you the chance to make the choice of letting your 11 month old get the vaccine or get the disease. My son was born 4 weeks early and my niece had chicken pox at the time and we wouldn't let her around our children or our new son for at least 2 weeks just to be on the safe side.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:08 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I think that was very rude of her not to tell you ahead of time. You could have made the decision as your childs parent if you want them to be exposed to chicken pox right now,,,My kids where in daycare and no I had no idea they where exposed to chicken pox, we went to a Superbowl party and I was in bathroom with son and saw the rash starting. I felt horrible and we left right then. There was a pregnant woman there, who thank God didnt come down with it....my dd missed a lot of school b/c of it, so I guess its better if they get it before school age. Your sister knew better,,,,good luck hon
    Anonymous

• I would be upset,but then get over it since its better to get it YOUNG then older.My MIL and hubby has never had chicken pox :/ he is gonna be one big baby....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:14 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I would be upset not to be given a choice in the matter, but I have to tell you that my child's doctor said he was better off getting chicken pox than getting the shot because the new one is not all that effective. I am a vaxing mama and that is the one shot we didn't get.
    Anonymous

• I'm a non-vaxer, but I have to say that you should notify a visitor/host of a known exposure to disease. Chicken pox is a disease of childhood, not infancy; it is best handled by an older child though if you are immune and bf that helps.
    Anonymous

• Some people have Chicken Pox parties to get it over with.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 PM on May. 9, 2010