Other than beating the crap out of my skillet...

How do you chop hamburger into fine pieces for tacos? got any gizmos to make this easier and quicker?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:27 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• maybe a pastry cutter. just cook it a little lower and spend some extra time chopping it up.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:28 PM on May. 9, 2010

• i do that too stand there with my spatula stabbing the pan several times while cooking, it helps me relieve aggression "die meat die" lol
    i never thought about finding an easier way
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 8:31 PM on May. 9, 2010

• cook it slow & mix it a lot.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:31 PM on May. 9, 2010

• oil your pan, be sure the pan is big enough or fry in small batches to brown the meat , have only low-medium heat and don't walk away, keep stirring and mixing so the pieces don't stick together. All the liquid will come out first , keep going till the oil is left , drain and on with your recipe. I know it says brown the hamburger mince, but I think of it as graying it first,You don't want the heat high enough to cause any browning yet, just that stewed gray colour til everything has separated. Then when all done, turn your heat up and get that caramelisation happening.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:40 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Die meat die...
    ~
    LOL
    Potatoe masher? Mash it in a bowl.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:27 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Med/low heat. It's a matter of the meat cooking too hot, too fast.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:19 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Do you have a Slap Chop food chopper? I've seen them on TV and I used to have something very similar from Pampered Chef. VERY easy to use and it works perfectly. Just put it on the browning meat and start chopping. Move it around the pan as needed.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:27 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Pampered Chef makes a thingy - I don't know what the correct name for it is, but I call it a hamburger chopper. Kind of like a potato masher except it's 5 things sticking out in a star shape kind of. I cook 3 lbs of hamburger at a time over high heat, half-frozen, and I get nice fine hamburger every time. LOVE it! (I also use it to chop up my eggs for egg salad, homemade applesaue, etc. At a PC party I went to they used it to chop up hash brown patties for a "quiche".)
    Anonymous

• I'm cheap, I just put it in a strainer and rinse it with water to cool it off and use my hands to crumble it.
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 9:18 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I break it up with my hands while putting it into the pan.
    kirstensmommie

Answer by kirstensmommie at 9:41 AM on May. 10, 2010