Are there any safe ways to lose weight while breastfeeding?

Ds is 14 months old, we only nurse twice a day, when he wakes up and when he goes to bed...I eat well, but I want to lose weight so we can ttc baby#2. Is their any safe herbal supplements or anything to take to help me jump start??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• You don't need supplements. You need to just eat healthy and do some weight training to build up muscle mass. Muscle mass will help burn fat and calories. Make sure you eat enough (4 small meals and 2 snacks).

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 PM on May. 9, 2010

• A healthy diet and moderate exercise are perfectly safe for breastfeeding. I agree, you don't need extra suppliments, (and I don't know of any that are safe) you just need to limit your caloric intake a little bit and start working out. Building muscle will help you burn more calories without even trying, and cardio will really boost your metabolism as well, and keep your heart and lungs in shape.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:55 PM on May. 9, 2010

• You only need 500 additional calories to breastfeed so start limiting your calorie intake to 2500 per day but make sure that they are healthy calories. Other than that, just start taking walks and upping your activity. You don't have to start an exercise routine just get moving.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:02 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Weight Watchers is completely safe while breastfeeding. They account for the extra calories needed by increasing your points allowance. If you're full-time nursing (baby doesn't get solids or formula), you get a whopping 10 extra points, but if you're part-time nursing, you'll get 5 extra points. The equivalent of a banana, a string cheese and a cup of yogurt. But have no fear -- you won't feel hungry at all if you do it right, and it actually teaches you to eat right, which will help you through your pregnancy once it isn't recommended to do the program (count points) anymore). I had great success with it. I felt great, didn't feel like I was dieting really, and saw good results. Definitely look into it. You don't have to go to meetings... you can do everything on-line now. I really can't recommend it more highly. It's the way to go!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:44 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Eat small meals throughout the day. eat every few hours. Always have protein with each meal/snack. Do cardio and weight training. No supplements necessary. I am breastfeeding my 1 yr old (quite often still) and i have lost 17 pounds (since Jan. 1).
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:56 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I did weight watchers while Bfing and lost 32 pds in 16 weeks.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 10:32 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I think pretty much all the normal things, but just make sure you eat healthy! I lost all of my baby weight while breastfeeding, mainly by doing low energy workouts everyday (like taking long walks) and eating healthy.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:32 PM on May. 9, 2010