Ds was kicked in the eye...should we head to the ER?

My 5 year old ds was trying to get his toy back from the 8 year old neighbor, and she kicked him in the eye. He was kicked pretty hard, I think. I saw it, but it's my kid, so of course to me it might have seemed harder than it was. There was dirt in and around the eye and of course ds was screaming. He is calm now and I think all the dirt is out. Do I need to take him in? Dh is leaning toward no, I'm thinking yes, just to make sure the dirt didn't cause a corneal abrasion or something. And, yeah, we're waiting on a callback from the ped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd wait to see what the ped says

Answer by admckenzie at 8:55 PM on May. 9, 2010

• This is not going to be the last time something like this happens, Mom. Kids are kids, he will get dirt, sand, bugs, etc, in his eyes... it's what kids do. He will be just fine. Don't run to ER, they will just probably laugh at you later on. If it appears to be blackened tomorrow around the eye, then you can call the ped. He's fine otherwise.
    Anonymous

• I would be more concerned about if there is any internal damage from the kick to the eye but the dirt is a good concern too.
    I'd wait for the call back and unless they tell you to bring him in tonight, I'd take him to the pedi tomorrow.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:51 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Wait for your doctor.
    Anonymous