Taking my 2 year old with me to the dentist...?

Tomorrow afternoon, I have a dental appointment-x-rays and an exam. Am I only asking for trouble if I take my 2 year old with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just took my DD who is almost 3 with me a few weeks ago. I was a little scared but I brought my stroller(which I wasn't allowed to bring back to the chair with me) anyways....I just had her sit and told her to not touching anything....every child is different.....the xrays and the exam she sat there and looked around make sure to bring maybe a toy for them to hold. Good luck to you! :)
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 10:05 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Nope-- get the 2 y/o an exam too while youre there-- (minus the xrays)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:00 PM on May. 9, 2010

• My friend is a dental hygienist and her number one complaint is parents that bring their small kids to appointments with them. They squirm around, make all kinds of noise, knock things all over as they are jumping around, they cry, they complain and are generally unhappy. Really you should leave your LO home.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:28 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Sorry, but the appointment is for YOU not your 2 yr old. Leave then with someone and if you want your 2 yr old to see the dentist make a separate appointment. And if you ask the office, they will say the same thing. A child in your lap is just in the way of the work that the hygienist and dentist needs to do during the appointment.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:35 PM on May. 9, 2010

• That is not a good idea. The appt is for you and if you have to tend to your child how do they do what they need to do?
    Anonymous

• I have to agree with SleepingBeautee on this one. I am a dental hygienist. Your child cannot be in the room when xrays are taken. A child will not be able to see what the dentist is doing when he gives the exam. Children tend to get in the way. Denistry on adults is very different than with children. The work we do on adults more often takes longer and can be more invasive.
    Make a separate appointment for your child. On a 2 year old, it will most likely only be a hard tissue exam and a visual exam in addition to oral hygiene instructions. It's better and easier for the dental; staff to ease a child into what we do at the dentist if it's their own special appointment.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:25 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Well if a parent doesn't have a babysitter, what is she supposed to do-not get dental care?

And if they don't like kids in the room, how come my dentist has a little kid's chair in the corner of the exam room?

Not all of us like to pawn our kids off on other people. I haven't been apart from my daughter since she was born (she's now two). I certainly wouldn't just leave her so I can have a nice, interrupted dental appointment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 10, 2010

• What kind of child are you raising that you would consider it "pawning" her off on someone? Seriously, that just sounds like an excuse to bring your kid everywhere, even where they are not wanted. Sorry but the dentist office is NOT the place for children. Let me guess, you would take her to a black tie dinner too, right?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:23 AM on May. 10, 2010

• SleepingBeautee
    What kind of child are you raising that you would consider it "pawning" her off on someone? Seriously, that just sounds like an excuse to bring your kid everywhere, even where they are not wanted. Sorry but the dentist office is NOT the place for children. Let me guess, you would take her to a black tie dinner too, right?

No, she just wouldn't go at all... Martyrs don't do black tie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Where will the child be during x-rays? NOt a good idea if you ask me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:40 PM on May. 10, 2010