Are you constantly terrified that something bad is going to happen to your child?

I know moms worry a lot, but I am overwhelmed with the fear that something could happen to my little girl. She is about to turn 1, I thought that it would get a little easier as time went by but it's getting worse...If I hear about or see anything on TV or online or anywhere that in any way involves a child in pain, or worse, I almost have panic attacks..I cry and become completely irrational. Is there something wrong with me or do you think this sounds somewhat normal? I just love her more than I ever thought I could love anything and I feel like if anything ever happened to her ... I don't even know how to end that sentence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on May. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was at first, especially that first year. I've been lucky enough to not have anything major happen to my son (like something that sends him to the ER), but he has had some close calls. Eventually, I've just learned to do my best even if some bad things happen. There will be a LOT of close calls and a few BIG things, but I always believe we'll get through them. : )

My son is 2 1/2, by the way.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:35 PM on May. 9, 2010

• YOU ARE NORMAL. I THINK EVERY MOM FEELS THIS WAY BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR CHILD SO MUCH. DON'T LIVE LIKE SOMETHING IS GONNA HAPPEN, IF YOU DO YOU WITH LIVE WITH REGRETS FOR THE TIME YOU WASTED. GOOD LUCK
    Anonymous

• This is why I stopped watching so much tv and news.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on May. 9, 2010

• I am too. My little one has some unexplained medical issues and I always fear the worse. Then she also says weird things too like, "I want to go to heaven and see my sister" or when I ask her what she wants to be when she grows up she says "mom, I'm not going to grow up". It's very erie.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:47 PM on May. 9, 2010

• oh yes all the time
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 10:48 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Im the same way. I stopped watching local news. I only watch fox nws for national news. There were three infants kidnapped in GA right after I had my baby and I was a nervous wreck.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 10:58 PM on May. 9, 2010

• Worried, yes, sometimes. Does the news upset me, yes some stories do. Do I let it take control of my life and become irrational.... No! Do you have a doctor you can talk to?

Anonymous

• I am. But, both my kids have given me some really big scares and I HAVE almost lost them :( Its hard but I just try not to focus on it or it would consume my whole life!!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 12:03 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Sounds like you might have an anxiety disorder.... I had it REALLY bad postpartum... to the point I couldn't even function.... Now I am better but I still check on my son throughout the night....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:23 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It's true that anything that could be thought of, could happen. But why let your blood pressure rise thinking about the endless possibilities of what ifs and could bes? Just calm down, hun. The world is not coming to an end. The sky isn't falling. And your child could most likely go through life without anything bad ever happening. When the situation arises, THEN react. And react CALMLY. As a mom you need to have a clear mind in any situation because your child will need that.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 5:35 AM on May. 10, 2010