Question about AIDS?

My cousin just told me that she slept with a guy a while back and that she just found out that he might have AIDS...she said that they had protected sex all but for a few minutes when they had anal...he took the condom off when they did anal and did not finish inside of her, didn't even come close..

I'm sorry if this is TMI and please please be nice, I'm very concerned for my cousin, she's a good person...just doesn't think before she acts sometimes.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a 100% certain that you will contract the virus from unprotected sex with an infected individual?
2. How long does it take for the virus to become detectable in the blood?
3. How is treatment nowadays? Is it still a "death sentence"?

jcarvalho

Asked by jcarvalho at 11:26 PM on May. 9, 2010 in Health

• 1-YES YES YES!!! Unprotected sex even for a second can transmit and STD.
    2-It can take up to six months but you should be tested again six months after the first test just to make sure.
    3-Meds..The likelihood of living a normal life with HIV is slim.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:28 PM on May. 9, 2010

• 1. No it is not...there has to be some way for the virus to get in the system...a tear in the skin and bodily fluid.
    2. i think I remember when I got tested that they told me you should be able to tell in 3 months after possible exposure whether or not you have it.
    3. There are people that have HIV and die of old age and not the disease.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:29 PM on May. 9, 2010

• 1. Is it a 100% certain that you will contract the virus from unprotected sex with an infected individual? No, ot is not 100%

2. How long does it take for the virus to become detectable in the blood? it can take 6 months

3. How is treatment nowadays? Is it still a "death sentence"? To my understanding (my neighbor has full blown AIDS) Yes, the treatment is still pretty rough!

Anonymous

• Your cousin should get tested FOR SURE!!! its not 100% that she would be infected but there is surely a chance. As for when it would should up in the blood that is something that should be discussed with her doctor or with the medical staff when she gets tested, but she will probably need a follow up test as well 2 or 3 months after the initial test.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:31 PM on May. 9, 2010

• as for the meds it would depend on whether it is HIV or full blow aids, but the medicines are better these days many people live close to regular lives with HIV for years.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:33 PM on May. 9, 2010

• You should check out this website:

http://www.aids.org/info/FAQs.html

Anonymous

• The rectum has a great deal of blood vessels in it. It absorbs things into the blood stream, that's why suppositories work. It is easier for the penetrated party to catch HIV than for the penetrating party.

The virus may show up in a positive person in days. People who are high risk for transmission should be tested every 6 weeks for 6 months to make sure they are negative.

The medications for people living with HIV are very hard on the body. They are expensive. They can help positive people live for decades.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:34 PM on May. 9, 2010

• "It would be extremely rare to take longer than six months to develop detectable antibodies. It is important, during the six months between exposure and the 6-month test, to protect yourself and others from further exposures to HIV."
    Anonymous

• It isn't 100% certain she has it now but there is a high chance.

It can take anywhere from a week to about 6 months to show up in your blood system. Usually, the test for AIDS is done three times- 1 month after sex with an infected person, 3 months after, and 6 months after.

There are many treatments but no "cures". It often involves a series of daily pills along with doctors visits and shots. If the treatment is taken properly someone with HIV can live a normal life for the most part.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:49 PM on May. 9, 2010

• There is never a 100%, even if he did finish, BUT, any contact could prove dangerous. So I would suggest she gets a test anyways.

Each person is different. It can take as little as a few weeks, but on average it will take at least 6 to 8 months to show up in the blood. However, from the time she feels she could have been exposed she needs to be very careful, because even if it's not showing in her system yet, she can pass it on.

Treatments will also vary from case to case. But in general HIV is treated by anti-viral medication and AIDS may not ever be in her future if she catches it early enough. HIV is not AIDS - AIDS is a very matured stage of HIV and is no longer the inevitability that it once was... The same goes for death...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:50 PM on May. 9, 2010