What's the incompetence with the BP oil spill?

Don't you think that before drilling a hole for oil extraction the companies have to be prepared to face possible case scenarios when thins go bad. This tragedy is questionable????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is a little outside my area of expertise, so I really don't know what is going on with this particular leak, what caused it, or how to fix it. I do know they have everyone who knows anything about this working on a solution. And like tn said, this is something that does not happen often! I agree that we need to stop with the finger-pointing! I feel that BP does an extremely good job on keeping their operations safe, and this was something completely unforeseen.

Has anyone seen the reports that state that there is a whole lot of oil that seeps up through the ocean floor naturally? There is about as much (or a little more) in a year as there has been for this leak so far. Just something to think about....
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:34 PM on May. 10, 2010

• This is due, in large part, to a lack of governmental oversight. Safety measures cost money; corporations are all about the bottom line income.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on May. 10, 2010

• BP was about to get an award at this location because their inspections were top notch. The facility and the equipment had all just been inspected and passed. Government Agencies cleared this location. So a lack in government oversight? How?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I'm wondering why the Obama Administration isn't raking them over the coals at this point. Oh, wait....now I know why!

"BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics."

So could we say Obama is an "oil tycoon?!" Can't get angry at your meal ticket! LOL :o)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:08 AM on May. 10, 2010

• So could we say Obama is an "oil tycoon?!" Can't get angry at your meal ticket! LOL :o)

Things that make you go hrmmmmmmmmmm

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:24 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Sounds to me like everything was done correctly and this was unexpected, not something that happens frequently. The methane bubble burst through several seals that are there to stop these things from happening. It;s like this flood in Tenn. Sure it rains and sure there may be a bit of flooding here and there so they have people and procedures in place but they are calling this a 1000 yr flood. No one expected it to EVER happen.
    The government by law is supposed to have these fire boons so they can set fire to the oil and they only had one. They had to borrow from others to get more. Thats the governments fault. There is fault on both sides though you won't here it from the media or the whitehouse. This was a tragedy but crap happens and when it does you deal with it. To many people are flipping out on this and to much blame is being thrown around for political reasons. Just work together and get it done,
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:39 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I think throwing blame just makes finding the solution take longer. I agree with itsmesteph11, it was caused by methane gas. Methane gas buildup/explosions are a global concern because they could cause tsunamies among other things. The world doesn't have a fix for these types of unexpected problems.

It is a terrible tragedy, but it was an accident that doesn't have a known prevention.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:03 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Itsmestep and yourspecial

Changing the subject I would like to ask a question about both of the avatars. My computer is so tiny that I can't make up your avatar both seem similar. What is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on May. 10, 2010

• LOL, it is our "gang" insignia!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:35 AM on May. 10, 2010