My child is not talking??

My daughter is 22 mos. and she only says a few words. Like Mama, Dada, Nana, Bubba, bite bite. Some have told me that is because she still has her paci. We are currently trying to break her. And I have noticed that she tries talking more when she doesn't have it. She has two older siblings. Kate is 11 and Nathan is 3. Should I be worried?

Asked by crissya1981 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take the pacifier cold turkey, she's old enough. Is it possible that your 11 year old is doing all the talking for her? Your 3 year old? I would ask her questions and talk to her about her day. Give it time. None of my kids spit very many words out until around 26-28 months. Then I couldn't get them to hush!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son had a pacifier also. We kept it too long and he developed a speech impediment. We finally got rid of it one his 3rd b-day. That was too late I think. We told him he was a big boy and did not need them and had him collect them all and throw them in the outside garbage the night before pick up. He did very well after that. He did ask for it a couple of times, but it was not as bad as we expected. I would take her to her DR and ask them what they think. Every child develops at a different rate, but like anything else, if you are worried ask a DR.

Answer by Mrs.Chase at 1:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• The pacifier will do it. I never used them with my kids and my daughter started talking up a storm around 16 months old. My best friend recently took her sons, he was 26 months old and has seen a drastic change. Other than lagging speech, pacifiers are bad for their teeth. Most dentists do not worry until 24 months, but pacifiers are not recommended after your child starts getting teeth. I know it is hard to take it, but you are more attached to it occupying your little one than they are to having it.

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 3:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son is 19 months old and has a slight speech delay. He says momma, dog, kitty, bye bye, shoe, tree and a few others (actually his speech really started to take off after the therapy started) But I can promiss you it is not because of the pacifier, the only way it would stop her from talking would be if it was in her mouth at the time and she could not talk.
    Also younger siblings tend to talk later than the older ones, it is because 1. you have been through this so you know what she wants, she may not have to talk as much and 2. older siblings tend to talk for the younger ones.
    ( continued)

Answer by libbykate at 3:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Here is what I was taught in the speech therapy.
    1. make sure they have time to talk, they really do want to add to the conversations, even if it is just babble.
    2. Use one word at a time. Instead of saying " why don't you eat all of your dinner" say " dinner, eat" , " Go sleep", " Good girl". Instead of saying "look at the dog" just say "Dog"
    3. speak clearly and slowly.
    4. If she babbles repeat when she says and say some real words that sound like what she was "saying"
    5. Praise praise praise. Even if she does not get a word right and it does not even sound like the word you where trying to get her to say praise the heck out of her. The more confident she is about trying to talk the more she will learn to talk.
    6. When she tries to say a word and does say it wrong, first say it the way she said it and then say it again in the right way, slow and clear.
    Good luck, if you have any more questions you are welcome to send me a messag

Answer by libbykate at 3:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• libbykate: How can your son have a speech delay at 19 months if he says all those words? My daughter only said about 3-4 things at that age. She's not delyaed at all. People have got to understand that every child develops differently and there's no need to label them or push them harder than necessary.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• AND FYI, the thoughts about pacis are changing, they are not bad for them and they are actually now reccomending them for babies while they sleep because they can reduce the rate of SIDS. Children sleep lighter with a pacifier and wake up easier, which is a good thing.
    The sugars in milk and juice cause tooth decay, that is why you never let a baby sleep with a bottle or anyhting like that. And you can even let them sleep with a bottle if you fill it with water.
    They also found that pacifiers do not make teeth crooked either.
    My son never used a pacifier other than a couple of times in the hospital. So I am not a "pro-pacifier" person because my son uses one or anything. I just happened to see a lot of articles on them lately.

Answer by libbykate at 3:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• They said he did, he was evaluated and everything. I was shocked too. He has a 25% speech delay ( well did have a 25% delay)
    The therapy is great though, it is a play time and there is no "pushing" of anykind. he actually LOVES it. They come to our house and bring cool toys, they never push him to do something he does not want to do or antyhting like that. He really has a total blast so we are going to keep doing it, I mean it wont hurt him at all and he has so much fun.
    But yeah I was shocked at what they concidered a delay too.
    ( continued,these things are too short)

Answer by libbykate at 3:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I went to them because my son was very ahead when it came to speech when he was 9-13 months old. He knew more words at 11 months old then he did at 15 months old. I was worried about autism, which thankfully he does not have. But even now he says less words then he did at 12 months. But he understands everything.
    So yeah I get what you are saying. It is not like these people are after money because they are not getting money from me, for me it is free ( as in no one pays, not even unsurance.

• Oh he stopped talking at around 14 months old, like just stopped. He still said momma and kitty, but even when he said "kitty" it sounded nothing like it did before, it was not nearly as clear. ( can't believe I forgot to add that he stopped talking into that, go me, lol)

Answer by libbykate at 3:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2008