how can i do college classes when i have a 1 year old, both her dad and i work and cant afford daycare

and i wouldnt want to put her in daycare anyway, but we cant afford it at all.

i REALLY want to go back to school.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:35 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I started out going back at a trade school (for Medical Assisting), because it was an evening program 6pm-10pm for nine months and so didn't interfere with work. After finishing that (so I have a better job in the meantime), I am now going back to taking University classes but doing all my general requirements online. Eventually I'll have to take regular classes and put the kids in daycare, but at least this way I can put it off a little bit until they are a little older. Also if you take classes during summer/winter terms then you can have a lighter class load during regular semesters, at least that's what I'm planning. BTW I have a 2.5 yr old and another on the way, and I work 2 part time jobs. It's hard, but it's worth it to be able to give the kids a better life where we can be more financially secure.
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 12:14 PM on May. 10, 2010

• online...its the eastest
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:44 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Almost every college offers online classes now. Also many campuses have free daycare for the children of students. Good luck =)
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:45 AM on May. 10, 2010

• i dont know how that college works, but [my son is also one) I work around me and hubbys work schedules, whether its online classes, or evening classes, but also my college has a child center on campus, and I know you stated that you wouldnt put her in a daycare, and trust me im the SAME way i dont even trust my family with him, but I took time out and got to know the staff, and it was hard at first, but I knew he was close. Im now going to be graduating in November, and If I can do this at only 18, you can do this, theres options, it will just take some planning ahead. But its well worth it.

Good luck, and I hope things work out :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 1:53 AM on May. 10, 2010

• oh yea and I have a 8 month old and I do half online and half at school, but mostly online now, Im working full times so when dh gets home I ask him to take care of our dd and I head for the books until about 12am. its not easy but if you really want to do it, you have to set your mind to it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:56 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Umm sorry to be a party pooper, but really wanting to go to school right now, is something you should have thought about before the baby was conceived. You can't just say Now I want to do this, and tough luck to your previous choice, You're her Mommy, He's her Daddy, together you brought her into the world, and now you have to put her needs first, not yours. Wanting to go to school is irrelevant if you can't afford care for her. I want to take a trip to the Bahamas, but I can't get a sitter for my kids...so I DON'T Go!
    Online courses are your best option, otherwise wait til she is at school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university. Chances are, they have a low-cost daycare on campus. You can also trade childcare with a neighbor.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on May. 10, 2010

• fafsa.ed.gov
    apply for federal student aid there. With children and if dh doesn't make too much then you should qualify for some help from the government.
    I take care of the registration and all applications for myself, my dh, and my 2 sister in laws so if you have any more questions please PM me.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:54 AM on May. 10, 2010

• you might have to wait, have to put what you want on the back burner. i have wanted to go to nursing school for about 6 years now. the problem is my dh makes to much money for any aid with paying for it but not enough for us to pay out of pocket. my kids where in daycare when i was working full time but we were paying over 800 a month for that. my dd starts school this year and my ds starts school next year. so thats when im going. had to put what i wanted on hold for a while
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 7:17 AM on May. 10, 2010

• so do you reallt want to go to school or do you want to have another baby? cuz you posted you want another kid just a bit ago
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on May. 10, 2010