With an ear infection is it better to lay on the infected ear, the other ear, or flat back?

Also what can I do to relieve the pain? I can't afford the dr. And this is for me not my child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Health

• On the side with the infected ear up is what I found when googling. I have put a heating pad over the ear for me- don't sleep on the pad though. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 6:56 AM on May. 10, 2010

• i agree with pp... and, just a side note, there really is no reason to go to the dr for an ear infection unless it has burst anyway... it will go away with or without antibiotics... in fact, my goober had an ear infection, i took her in and they gave her antibiotics... it went away then came right back. when i called them to ask what i should do, the dr said just keep her comfy and let it run its course,,, the antibiotics can sometimes do more damage than the infection.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:12 AM on May. 10, 2010

• When my son had ear infections I would have him put a warm, wet washcloth on his sore ear and that seemed to help. I know the doctors do not always give out Rx for antibiotics, my son had quite a few ear infections (sometimes even double ear infections) in 1 year and sometimes he would get an Rx, other times he would not. Thankfully his ear infections cleared up, went away and he had many years without them!!
    I hope you feel better soon!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:32 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I would se a Doctor. Ear infections can cause deafness and travel to the mastoid bone behind your ear which is a dangerous complication. They can't be ignored.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:27 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I'm more comfortable sleeping with the infected ear on my pillow (so down) because of the heat that comes from laying on that side. If it's up it hurts more, for me.
    Anonymous