How do you get a toddler to try new foods?

jekr433

Asked by jekr433 at 7:37 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Luckily my daughter will eat just about anything at least once to see if she likes it. But I did have to tell her that the olives on her pizza were bubble gum LOL Now she loves olives.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:58 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I read a study before and it said that children have to see something up to 10 times before they will accept it. The best way though is to remember that size can be a factor. I give the kids a few green beans at first then if they want more they can ask for more but they do not feel that the three is overwhelming. Think about it when you go to a buffet and you want to try something new you don't always get a big mound of it. You get a little and then go back for more later if you liked it!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 10:35 AM on May. 10, 2010

• My 5 year old is so picky all of a sudden. He refuses to each much of anything. Lately it has been pb&j's.
    For whatever reason he loves salad and baby carrots with Ranch dressing.
    I cannot get him to eat potatoes or anything remotely related to potatoes. He wont even eat french fries or tater tots!
    Forget any other kind of vegetable! I've tried only giving him 2 kernals of corn...he spazzed like I was trying to kill him.
    Peas end up getting shoved in the sides of the A/C. We don't have pets so he can't feed them.
    I can't just let him eat only carrots with Ranch dressing and the occasional salad.
    Or am I wrong?
    Don't get me wrong I am glad he likes the carrots and salad, just don't know if I should keep trying to get him to eat anything else or let it be with carrots and salad for now.
    Voiceofanangel

Answer by Voiceofanangel at 11:03 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Honestly, you just have to keep offering new foods, every single day, and act like it's perfectly normal to do so. Make sure that every meal includes one thing that your child is sure to like, but offer a variety each time. Do what you need to do for that taste to happen each time (a bite of this for a bite of that)-- it won't always happen, but even if you give up for that meal, you try again the next time. And don't make your child a whole new meal so that you can be sure he feels full. Our little on is now 20 months and has seemed picky at times, but just yesterday she chewed and swallowed her first bite of lettuce and ate two whole asparagus spears. Part of it is that they will do it when they're ready, but part of it is putting a little on their plates every single time. We just had friends stay with us and their kids are insanely picky. But if they don't like what's served, she pulls out their old stand-bys. (cont)
    Anonymous

• (cont) Their two year-old only eats fruits and vegetables pureed by Gerber and their almost-4 year-old hardly eats any at all. She describes how they got to that point, the kids' refusal of such-and-such led to them only making certain things... Our girls did the same things, we were just persistent and we talked about our foods, let them help prepare them, expressed how much we enjoyed them, and never force-fed.
    Anonymous

• Check out this blog article! I think it has great advice!

http://mycharmingkids.net/category/nutrition/
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:22 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Let your toddler taste what you are eating (this still works with my 14 year old).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on May. 10, 2010

• to anon 12:14- my son ate wonderfully at 20 months, things change a lot once a kid gets a few years older. I hope your kid keeps eating well, but don't be suprised if a once enthusiastic eater begins to demand pb and j with chocolate milk at every meal.

To get my 2 1/2 year old to eat more foods, I put out veggies on his plate while I prepare the rest of his meal. I also ask what shapes he would like certain foods cut into. Also, giving him bbq sauce or ketchup to dip his food into helps sometimes. good luck.
    Anonymous