How do you teach your child about religion and the Bible? Need recommendations.

Please don't turn this into a bash post, I'm looking for advise not anything else. My child has never been to church and also does not know the Bible. I grew up with church and loved it but my DH did not so when we married, I stopped attending. I would really like for my child to know what faith is all about but its been so long since I've attended or even practiced religion that I dont know where to start. DH is fine with this and even wants to learn himself now. I do have a Bible but Bibles can be difficult to read and understand and I feel something a little simpler which still tells the story of God might be a little better. I am in the process of looking for a church as well but want to help my child learn a little before we go so he doesnt feel behind. Any advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My son is almost 4 and he knows a lot about the bible. We just read bible stories to him every night at of the children bibles. But we also attend church every Sunday so that probably helps. All I can think of is maybe get a children s bible and start reading that maybe you could come up with some games or find games at the christian store. Good Luck I think what you are doing is great anytime is a good time to teach your children about Jesus!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 7:54 AM on May. 10, 2010

• We use Faith First.  We have books  for my kids grades and then we use the website for additional information.  We Catholic, I don't know what religion you are, but I'm sure there are similar sources for other denominations

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:02 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Check out this site
    www.dltk-bible.com
    it's wonderful for young children I love it!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:07 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I just talk about Yahweh and how great he is. My dd is 3 so that is all for now. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 9:12 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It depends on what your lifestyle is like, IMO. If you guys are readers and studiers, I would go to a good bookstore and buy them children's type Bible's that they can read and understand. Buy a study Bible or an Instructional bible and use that along with the books your kids have and answer their questions as they ask them. We use a Teen Study Bible, a Parenting Bible, and a Children's Bible in conjunction with a Life Application Bible mostly to answer the kid's questions. Most of the time, I let them research and find the answers for themselves and let them make their own conclusions from what they read and how they interpret it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:14 AM on May. 10, 2010

• The JW's have this great book called My book of bible studies. It's awesome and really easy for the little ones. They gave me one for free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on May. 10, 2010

• If you live your faith, then you will not have to actively teach it to your child, because he or she will learn through your example. So, if you have faith in G-d, then express it through daily prayer & good works and your child will too. If you sit and read a bible of your choice, give your child a children's version so that he or she can sit with you & read, too. When your child asks you why you do or don't do something, you can offer simple faith-based explanations and your child will take those words to heart. Learning faith isn't about classes or going to a special building (eg..church/mosque/synagogue/etc.), it's about how you live your life & represent yourself to the world. Going to church on Sunday, but swearing Monday thru Friday is a mixed message, one that teaches that practicing your faith is a choice. However, if you live your faith daily by example, you teach that your faith guides your life in all things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Snip & Tell Bible Stories is a cute book you might find helpful.  I've used it both at home and in help emphasizing a lessons in Sunday School.

Because we are Catholic, I also use The Big Book of Catholic Customs and Traditions, and no matter which Christian denomination you might want a Home Rules plaque to display in a prominant place because it references the Bible.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:53 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Walk the walk...lol
    Answers those questions over and over.
    Look for opportunities to explain to your child about this and that,for ex, like the moon or animals.
    Talk about who Jesus was and how he treated people.
    Childrens bibles.
    Songs.
    Crafts.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:48 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Read the bible together. I would personally recommend the Church of Christ simply because I've been to denominational churches and this is the closest to to the Church in the bible. New King James or American Standard Version are fairly easy to understand. Find a preacher or a friend you trust, but always make sure that they are teaching biblically. I know I just made that as clear as mud, but I'm happy to answer questions privately. The church of Christ usually has individual bible study to help you learn, and depending on your child's age, may have one for him as well. The important thing to remember is knowing a lot about the bible is not a requirement for attending church. Most anyone there will be happy to help you and you will be welcome whether you know nothing or a lot about the bible. We should all be continuing our education on that. :) God bless.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:10 PM on May. 10, 2010