How do you turn constant snacking into meals?

My daughter will be 10 months old this month. She always munches, she just wants her bottle to sip on (2 ounces here and there). I sit her down 4 times a day for meals at certain times per our pediatrician.

What am I doing wrong? It's a major pain in the rear that she isn't getting as much formula as babies her age should, yet all she wants to do is sip on it here and there.

Should I just not give it to her when she fusses and wait till she'll actually drink it all? I mean it seems crazy having a 10 month old that takes 2 oz bottles at a time. When we are out and she's in her car seat or something she'll tend to finish a 4 oz bottle.

It's just all becoming very frustrating and I feel like there has to be some answer. It's like she's still a newborn when it comes to eating habits. I'm also scared this is the reason she is still waking 2-3 times a night and wanting to munch and then sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try stretching out to at least 3 hours, preferably 4 hours, during the day, and don't give her anything. You may have to listen to some crying, but I think it will help in the long run. Stomachs shrink so that they really don't hold as much and so that it takes less to satisfy.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:40 AM on May. 10, 2010

• If you continue to let her snack, she will. You have to let her know when it's "mealtime" and limit the 2 oz "snacks". At 10 months, they still need to eat every 3 hours or so - mine were eating 3 meals and 3 snacks/day. But if you limit the all day snacking, she will be hungrier when you do feed her and will take more than the 2 oz, which will keep her fuller longer.

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I had to do that with my son. He always wanted to snack. My doc suggested i make him quit because it can lead to obesity and tooth decay from formula always on the teeth. So, i just made him wait atleast 3 hours one day. When he whined i distracted him with toys until the 3 hr mark hit. It only took a day of this and he was good. He was about 4 months then. Hes 10 months now and has 3 square meals and 2-3 bottles a day. (sometimes he doesnt want the mid morning bottle. But when he cuts that one out the 2 he does eat are larger. So he gets the same amount of formula eigher way). Good luck!!!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:48 AM on May. 10, 2010

• You know...she is actually eating the way we were designed to. We're not designed for three big meals a day. Six small ones is actually considered healthier.

I'd consider nothing broken here and leave it. ESPECIALLY if you're nursingl, you NEED to leave it. If you're NOT and you want to get her onto a schedule, then be stubborn...nothing given till the designated times. No, she won't like it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on May. 10, 2010