Temporal Lobe Seizures

My DD has been seen in the past with an abnormal EEG that put her at risk for temporal and partial seizures because of temporal lobe spikes. DD had an MRI that said everything was normal. She has now been diagnosed with Central Audiotry Processing disorder and that also stems from the temporal lobe. I did some research and saw that many temporal lobe seizures are only diagnosed by EEG and the MRI's are usually normal. Our new doctor is referring us to a pediatric neurologist now. I am so upset because what if we have been missing something for the past 3-4 years!!!???? DD frequently stares off in short spells multiple times a day. I was concerned with absent seizures when we saw the neurologist almost 3 years ago, I will be so upset if she has been having seizures this long with no treatment!!! Anyone else's child have temporal lobe seizures???

3galsaaf

Asked by 3galsaaf at 8:16 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have Epilepsy and I work for a leading TBI specialist, so we see this stuff all the time, only as a result of brain injury. Don't beat yourself up! Lots of parents miss the signs/symptoms for a very long time before the kid gets on meds, etc. It is NOT uncommon for that to happen. Lots of parents just see it as "daydreaming" or not paying attention. The important thing is that your dr is doing something about it. Yes, MRIs don't always show TL stuff b/c it will only show a STRUCTURAL difference, not electric difference, as the EEG will. MRIs are only meant to show if there is some kind of abnormality like part of the organ being missing, damaged, etc. EEGs are designed to catch the misfire of nerves, etc.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:24 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I appreciate your information but are you saying these types of seizures are only caused by brain injury? I don't know of any injury she has had?!?!?
    3galsaaf

Answer by 3galsaaf at 10:04 AM on May. 10, 2010

• BUMP
    3galsaaf

Answer by 3galsaaf at 8:59 AM on May. 12, 2010

• BUMP
    3galsaaf

Answer by 3galsaaf at 12:38 PM on May. 13, 2010