My 15 y/o Daughter is sick ALL OF THE TIME! Doctor's find nothing.

My 15 y/o daughter started getting sick back in December 2008 and has missed at least one day of school each week for the last year and 1/2. Her symptoms come and go and include joint pain, upper back and neck pain, muscle aches, fatigue, skin rashes, kidney pain with no sign of infection, severe headaches, dizzy spells, nausea, gagging, bouts of diarrhea, insomnia, and others. She has been to her pediatrician and had several tests done. All negative. She has been to a physical therapist, allergist, psychologist, neurologist, sports medicine doc and maybe one or two others. They all find nothing to explain her symptoms. I don't know what to do for her. Every single week she is going along, doing ok and then gets so sick that she can't do anything but lay around for a couple of days. Her pediatrician did an ANA test to look for Lupus, but it was negative too. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have polycystic kidney disease and I am constantly sick like this. My kidney function is fine so they never find anything in my urine or my blood tests. I'm always in pain and sick because my kidneys are over twice their normal size and covered in large cysts. You'd need to do a CTscan or an ultrasound to see the cysts. Good luck
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:08 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Has she been tested for Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue? I was a very sick kid and young adult. The dr's always made me feel like I was faking, but I wasn't. It turns out that among a few other medical issues, I have Fibro and CFS. I almost didn't graduate HS b/c of my absences due to my symptoms.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:20 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I hate that... people always making you feel guilty for being sick or not believing you and accusing you of faking. My inlaws do this and I hate it.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:27 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I'd look into yeast overgrowth as possibility. Does she crave carbs or sweets at all? When you have an overgrowth of yeast in the gut, the little buggers will send out chemical messages to get you to eat their favorite foods, which are simple carbs & sugars. The chemical waste products from the yeast can cause fatigue, skin rashes, aches & pains, irritability, trouble concentrating, GI distress and more.

Yeast can be difficult to control because it is literally in & on everything we touch, including us, all of the time. Typically, it gets out of control after you've taken antibiotics. Abx are good, but they kill off the good gut bugs as well as the bad, then you get dysbiosis or yeast overgrowth in the gut. There many natural ways to treat for yeast, including probiotics, dietary changes & other natural supplements.

Do some googling on yeast overgrowth in the gut to get more info on diagnosis & treatment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Flaggot12... I'm sorry about your condition. I'm glad they got you a diagnosis though. It must be a relief just to know what's wrong. My daughter did have an ultrasound on her kidneys and it came back negative.

Luvmylilmonkies... if her neurologist tested her for fibromyalgia, he didn't tell me about it. It seems like that happens a lot. Doctors test for things, but don't tell you what they are testing for unless the test comes back positive. I don't know if she has been tested for Chronic Fatigue either. I will ask about these things at her next appointment. Thank you!
    GaspShock

Answer by GaspShock at 10:00 AM on May. 10, 2010

• i would try a homeopath, an acupuncturist and or a chiropractor.
    was she tested for a gluten intolerance?
    i am sorry for you mama! so much to go through, and so frustrating with no answers!!!
    maybe it is time to go outside the box?
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:29 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I am very curious about the yeast overgrowth possibility. I've looked on the internet about that and there seems to be a lot of different information and opinions. I wonder how her pediatrician would see that. There such an overwhelming amount of information and opinions, I just wouldn't know where to start.

Happy2bmom25.... we did try a chiropractor for several months. She had absolutely no improvement from that. We went 3 times a week. She also did get tested for gluten intolerance and nothing came back on that either. I'm thinking about the homeopathic doctor, but don't know how to find one in my area. I've also considered an acupuncturist but they are very expensive and insurance doesn't cover it. Thanks for your suggestions!
    GaspShock

Answer by GaspShock at 11:35 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Did she have all these symptoms at the beginning? Is she on any medication for any of the symptoms? If her next appointment isn't within the next week or two I would make a trip to her Dr to write down what all tests she has had, you have a right to see her file when you want, may have to call first though. I don't think you can check into anything until you know what tests she has had.....no sense wasting your time searching something if she has already been tested for it.

I think once you have yourself armed with what tests she has had you can search for those things to see if there is other tests along with searching other things it could be and go to her appointment and ask for those tests. You also want the results, numbers, of the tests she had...if her test came back at 101 but needs 105 to have whatever the test was for push for the test again.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 2:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• arthritis? I can't begin to guess as I don't know the symptoms of these different things including fibromyalgia. Clearly, the docs are missing something, not intentionally but they are missing it. Keep looking for an answer. This may sound crazy, CRAZY but is there a good psychic in your city? Sometimes, they just really know.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry to hear this, I don't really know what else to add besides trying more drs. Has anyone checked her immune system?

I hope you guys get some answers for this soon...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:30 PM on May. 10, 2010