Could my son's academic performance in the future be affected if I decided not to place him in preschool?

It's not that we don't want to it's more about our finances. With debit card payments and with the student loans (two loans) to meet we can't afford preschool

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Studies show that those children that go to preschool and those that do not are all at even levels before they head into 3rd grade.
    My son did not go to preschool. We did not go out of our way to socialize him because he's got 3 older siblings and went to Sunday School at church every Sunday. He is now finishing out his 7th grade year and has had A's and B's every year.

You keep your finances straight and don't worry about sending your child to preschool. He will be just fine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:55 AM on May. 10, 2010

• No. It's not going to affect your child. I went to preschool and I'm not any smarter than those my age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 10, 2010

• and if you are really concerned about it, just teach your child yourself. They can learn the same things. and make sure they socialize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 10, 2010

• In my honest opinion, there is nothing that children do in pre school that cannot be done in your own home. BUT.. I do think it's an excellent way for your child to become more sociable and get used to a structured environment. My daughter has been going to preschool now for about 2 months, 5 days a week for only 3 hours a day, and I have seen a huge improvement on her attitude and the way that she behaves at home.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:12 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Read to your child a least 20 minutes a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 10, 2010

• citink

I agree with you. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 10, 2010

• No, it will not affect his academic future, but it will make it easier for him to adapt when he does go, pre school is just practice for the real thing. If you can't afford it don't frett just try to keep him up to par on what he would be learning there yourself.

Answer by older at 9:18 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I couldn't get my son into free pre-k, so I didn't send him. I have just been working with him at home and taking him with me to the school when we visit my older child for lunch so he gets a feel of the school. I'm not worried at all about him not going to pres-school.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:34 AM on May. 10, 2010

• no we didn't have the money to send our daughter to preschool either. i tried teaching her at home but she can be very stuborn and refused to learn anything i tried to teach her. so she went to kindergarten this year only able to count to ten and she did know her ABC's but thats it. since she started she absoltluy loves it and is doing awsome in school.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 9:35 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Blah Blah to those who say he needs the interaction... He will get plenty of that when he is of age to attend school. Work with him, print off coloring pages, ABC'S, 123'S, shapes, different age appropriate activities, go on nature walks, zoo, there are tons of things you can do to help him learn before Kindergarten comes around. Join a Parents as Teachers organization if you have one available in the area. Don't worry Momma, he will be fine as long as you're an active parent!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:35 AM on May. 10, 2010