disciplining a 2 year old.

i now believe in terrible twos. my two yr old has become very hard to handle. what are ways to discipline her without yelling or hitting that actually work. shes very charming so normally when she does something she hurrys and says im sorry mommy and i love you we tend to never discipline. HELP

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 9:16 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Spanking IS NOT hitting if it is done properly! I am sick of people saying I hit my kids because I spank. I will attest in court, under oath that I do NOT ever hit my kids. I will also testify that I do indeed spank my children if it is necessary. If you do not discipline your children, they will run your life - as is the case of this child in question. If you can't handle her at 2 yrs old, wait ten yrs. It gets MUCH worse. Also, don't threaten your kids with a punishment you don't intend to follow through on. If you tell your child that they won't get to go to grandma's unless they behave, make sure they DO NOT GO if they don't behave! This just makes you a liar to your kid and nothing you say means anything - even when you tell them you love them. Mean what you say and say what you mean! Parents need to stop letting the child raise themselves and BE PARENTS! If you didn't want to parent your child, then why have them?!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:58 AM on May. 11, 2010

• well there's your first mistake. She now knows that she can do anything as long as she hurries up and apologizes. She's manipulating you. Personally I believe in spanking and she could use a spanking to bring her back to reality, but I've heard that if you get down on her level face to face with the child and talk firmly and explain things to them it works, but I think that's something you needed to have started when she started causing trouble.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:32 AM on May. 10, 2010

• 1-2-3 Magic !! great book and works well with my 2 yr old though we did adapt it alot!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I'm with flaggot on this. Just because she apologizes doesn't mean that she has been reprimanded...Think of it like this. If I rob a bank but then run to the police and give the money back and apologize does that mean that I shouldn't be held accountable? If you aren't ok with spanking, then I suggest time outs. That way she is at least getting a punshiment for donig the crime. You may notice that when she is disciplined, she may not be the charming child you thought she was since she has been getting off easy this entire time...keep her there for 1 min per year so she'd be in time out for 2 minutes AFTER she is calm enough to sit there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:29 AM on May. 10, 2010

• i've heard to get down on there level and explain that it's wrong, but we tried that and time out..and neither of which worked...we spank, and it usually only takes once or twice for my dd to realize that she can't do certain things. we let her have her fits out, since she needs to get her voice heard too..but, those fits get her taken outside or to the car. when she throws fits, we can usually threaten her with not seeing her grandparents that weekend, and she'll calm right down. it's going to be harder to get your dd to listen, and it'll take longer to get her to stop doing the things you don't want her to do, since she's done these things and you haven't disciplined her for it before. be consistent in disciplining, and eventually she'll understand what to do and what not to do. good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:29 AM on May. 10, 2010

• thankxx ladys. ive started with the time out already a few hours ago. ive already had to send her to her room like 5 times.lol. when i spank i feel huilty
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 3:10 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I agree with 1-2-3 magic - - it's a great book!! So is Love and Logic. Both offer great tools for positive discipline and natural consequences - much more effective than spanking, when done correctly. :)
    I use them with my kids (well, mostly with my 3 yr old, as the 1 yr old is still a little young. . . . with him we do redirecting and distracting, as most positive discipline experts agree that under 2 is too young). When I started 1-2-3 magic with my daughter (at 2) she got several time outs the first day, only 1 the 2nd day, and since then it's been really rare that I get to 3 - ever. She knows, and when I count, she corrects her behavior without a word from me (other and the calm and quiet count of 1). I don't need to use threats, or punishments - - she has been taught what is expected of her, and, with reminders, she acts accordingly.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• you need to follow through at this stage they are smart they know better in MOST cases of simple rules etc..but so many parents give in etc. A great book thats filled with so many helpful hints is called "children the challenge" by rudolph drykers.
    willywonka86

Answer by willywonka86 at 8:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Spanking is punishment, not discipline.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 9:14 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Spanking gets them afraid of you but doesn't always work yes I'm a spanker when needed but I have found a new remedy I tell her I'm going to call the po-po's aka police or chucky and she gets in line haha mite sound cruel but its better then hitting my princess
    Anonymous