Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know i need help.I just don't know what type of Dr. to contact.

I have always had social anxiety problems my whole life.I have always thought i was just shy.But this is ridiclous.I'm 30yrs old and i can't carry on a normal conversation.And that includes with my own family members.It's hard for me to even walk outside of my own house.Because i don't want the neighbors looking at me.It makes me feel naked.This has started to really concern me.Because i don't know if i would be able to work to support my children if anything ever happened to my husband.I have anxiety attacks every now and then.I have alot of times when i feel so depressed and worthless i ask god to please just take me.And i have trouble being able to take in too much information at one time.Sometimes when someone is trying to explain something too me it's like it just bounces off my head.And it doesn't help that my 4yr old son was just diagnosed with autism and adhd.So that's alot of stress.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Health

Answers (6)
  • psychiatrist

    Answer by flaggot13 at 10:08 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • I have felt that way at times and I have many doubts and fears about my self too. It is like your "inner voice" says "Why would anyone want to be my friend? I am a loser and I never say the right thing...." ETc. I have such fears that I have never made a speech,for example.My Doctor told me to be "My own best friend" and tell myself good things. Find things that you can say you are good at, parts of your personality that are good,etc. This was last week. My blood pressure was very high and I was fearful and mentally beating myself up. After we talked for quite a while, they took my blood pressure again and it was completely normal. Just having somneone listen to me and tell me that I had the right to be "my own best friends" helped so much. He is a GP, I was there for an annual checkup. It was great. I would advise you to talk with someone you trust,like a Doctor,and TRY to tell yourself good things! Good luck

    Answer by gertie41 at 10:24 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • I am so sorry you are going through that. I think talking to any doctor would be fine and they could direct you to the right person. Keep your head up!

    Answer by delta27 at 10:32 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • I have generalized anxiety disorder, which used to make me always feel like something bad is about to happen. When it first started happening, I was about 28 years old. It started after we moved to WA, and I think it was because of the weather. But also I've always been extremely shy and have trouble talking to people and carrying on a normal conversation. I started to think I was going crazy! But I ended up going to a psychiatrist and they prescribed me some antidepressants and some antianxiety medicine as well as talk therapy, and after about 6 months of both, I was much more able to cope. I actually went off all the medications within a year of being on them and now I haven't been on meds for 4 years, I learned coping techniques, have not had a panic attack since just a little while after I started seeing the psychiatrist/psychologist. I am MUCH more able to enjoy my life. It's something you should look into. Good luck!

    Answer by AprilDJC at 10:43 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • I have a lot of phobias and anxiety, too. It's best to get a diagnosis from a psychiatrist so you know what you are dealing with.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • Talk to your primary care doctor and get his/her referral for what you'll need.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on May. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.