If daddy isnt around or even if he is, can you give the baby any last name you choose?

I know im not giving my baby her fathers last name cause hes a low life, i would give her my last name. But if i wanted to could i give her my older daughters last name so atleaat my kids would have the same name? (My ex agrees to let me do that if i can) im not sure how that works. Does it have to be mommy or daddys last name or can yoi give your baby any name you choose even if its totally random like Smith? (Of corse assuming your not a smith)

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 10:26 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• laws vary state to state, but yes, in most you certainly can. The new, popular trend is giving a child a last name that combines the mother's maiden name, and the sir name to create a completely new name. You do not need permission of anyone to "use" their name either. Though I understand the context in which you were speaking of the use of the name, I just wanted to clarify.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 AM on May. 10, 2010

• In ohio the mother has the say in the name of the child. If you name the father, you have the option of giving the child his last name. That doesn't mean you have to, but you can. I am not sure if you can do what you are suggesting to do because of the various laws. So you may want to check into it more.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:35 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It does vary state by state, but in most states you can give your child any last name you choose and it does not have to be either parent's last name.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:44 AM on May. 10, 2010

• All states are different, but our state lets you make up any name you want if that is what you wish to do. My aunt is married to her SO and they gave their children their names hyphenated (when they married they both took the hyphenated last name too).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It varies state to state. And if you are married or not. My SIL had to give her youngest 2 children that she swears are her current husband's children her last name because she was still legally married to her first husband and father to her oldest child.
    Anonymous