Cows Milk for a baby?

At what age can you start on things like yogurt and cheese etc.? I have an 8 and a half month old....

ALDmama

Asked by ALDmama at 10:48 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as your baby has not shown any signs of sensitivity to dairy then you can start giving small amounts of cheese and yogurt at around this age. I started my DD on yogurt at 8 months, cheese at 9 months. A good way to do the yogurt is to buy plain whole milk yogurt (I get it in the big tub, it is cheaper that way!) and mix in a little unsweetened applesauce or jar of baby fruit. That way they don't get any added sugar, just the natural sugar in the fruit.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My pediatrician told me dairy and cheese was fine after 8 months. No milk milk until a year though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:53 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Cheddar cheese is safe after 8 months, but other cheses are best to wait until as close to a year as possible (something to do with the way it's made vs the others). I'm not sure about yogurt though. And of course, no milk (just formula or breast milk) until 1 yr old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:55 AM on May. 10, 2010