Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog ate a raisin

I may be being paranoid but I have heard that if your dog eats raisins, it can kill them. Well, I was giving them to my DS and he dropped one and the dog ate it. Any reason for concern?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Pets

Answers (7)
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs


    Call your vet.  Better to be safe than sorry!  Good luck

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • you're dog will probably barf it up.. but if its a small dog i'd call my vet.
    LittlestKeen

    Answer by LittlestKeen at 11:28 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • lol my dog has eaten them before shes just fine.....
    joycegina

    Answer by joycegina at 11:29 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • She should be fine, if it was just one. It is when they eat a ton of them that you really have to worry.
    KyliesMom5

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:40 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • Your puppy should be fine. Usually it takes quite a bit to make them sick. Just keep an eye on your dog and if he/she starts doing things out of the normal then call the vet.
    Juggalette0327

    Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:48 AM on May. 10, 2010

  • Just because someone else has a dog that ate a raisin and is fine does not mean yours will be. I would call the poison control center for pets so they can tell you exactly what to do.

    My dog ate some rat poison and survived so yours would be fine too. This logic just doesn't make sense and really it isn't worth the risk.
    Sara.Robyson

    Answer by Sara.Robyson at 2:29 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I would assume just like anything else, that if your dog didn't have an immediate reaction to ONE raisin, it will probably be ok. Just keep a close eye out for anything out of the norm... coming off feed, not drinking, extra lethargic, barfing, blood in stools, etc.

    It's not a good thing that doggy got one, but it'd be a different story if it ate a whole big box or bowl. If you feel the need to take him/her in, call your vet and see what they have to say. They'll probably just tell you the same thing, keep an eye on them for any noticable changes in habits.
    matobe

    Answer by matobe at 4:14 PM on May. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN