Why not cut welfare

All through the United States the states are basically saying they can not afford to run the states economy with out tax increases and/or cutting (police forces, fire deparments, teachers ect) I've yet to hear of any one suggesting cutting welfare. What gives? What happened to PA being a temporary program

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 11:26 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because if we cut welfare then no one would have an excuse to be lazy....they'd have to get up and do better for themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It is temp. You can not be on it for more than 5 years and after that 5 years you can NOT apply again EVER!! At least in NY. I myself am on PA and looking for a job. While I was in another county in NY they sent me to school while I was on PA and I am so grateful I can not express that enough. I was able to finally get my GED and got a bunch of job expernce because it was a work program that helped you get your GED. I was able to get a lot fo help, however, I had to move to another county after I left and they cpild not help me where I am now so I am still on PA but trying so hard to find something I can do with no car and not even a permit and no bus system. I am doing my best and hope by this time next year to have a job my licence and a car and working on buying a house. I have goals and thanks to PA I will be able to achieve them. cont....
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:34 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I think it should be a temp program and I think if you have more kids while on any kind of PA you should NOT get an increase in benefits. I dont get a raise to have a child. I think we need to be sure people in our country eat. No one is disputing that. To a certin extint we need to help ourselves. I wonder how many people on PA are planting a garden this year to have healthy free food. How many on PA breastfed? These are things working families do to cut costs. when you pay for htings yourself it is just human nature to cut cost to make it work. When someone else is paying we tend to forget the value of things. I think Welfare shoud gradually decrease to wean you off benefits. People need to get creative to take care of themselves. I understand if someone truely cant find a job and hits a hard time but i dont understand a lifetime of welfare. If you dont care enough to look out for yourself..really why should we?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:34 AM on May. 10, 2010

• They'red be a whole lot more robberies & chaos than there is now, only saying thats probally not the awnser.'I don't need it but I have been on the side that did for a time.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 10, 2010

• It would be the children that suffer if you cut welfare. Think about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Problem is I personally know people who have been on Pa way beyond the 5year limit. I live in Arizona and the illegal immigration only adds to the problem. To add insult to injury the people who are on Pa (that I know) are selling their FS for cash so they can buy drugs and alcohol. I work to support my son and we can't even qualify for the reduced lunch program. I'm all for helping those in need but come on people, its time to learn how to fish.

CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2010

• There are many people who use it to live and are fine with that. I refuse to be one of them. I want my DD to see me get up every mornign and work my butt off to give her what she needs and wants like my mother did. MY mom was on PA for 2 years after my brother was born because my stepdad walked out on us and he was the one supporting us. They weren't legally married so she couldn't get allomony or anything and got like 25 a week in child support. Anyway they gave her 3 years to find a job yes 3 YEARS and she started looking for one when my brother was 1 1/2 and she did it with no car. Took 2 buses and left at the crack of dawn to support us and I that is what I would do if there was a friggen bus system up here. I feel very ashamed that I am on PA but I feel no shame in the food I just got with FS to feed my DD.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:43 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Public Assistance = votes... It's all a game of politics. It will come down to a point where there is no one else’s pocket left to pick. No more $$ to borrow or print.. And once our government reaches a point where they can no longer take from others, people who have become dependent on government will get upset. Instead of picking themselves up and working harder as individuals, they will want more..  And just as liberals are doing today, they will make empty promises of providing more to the people without accountability on how to fund.. It's a political game played with taxpayers money. Apolitical game played with our childrens' future.  It's disgusting....  At some point there will be no money left to play the game.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:44 AM on May. 10, 2010

• why not cut the politicians pay? they broke it, and should be the first to lose money. but wait! they gave themselves raises last year. barf
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:45 AM on May. 10, 2010

• I understand that we need to have some assistance the problem is in determining those who really need it and those who just want a hand out and dont want to help themselves. The handout creates a lazy enviroment. It sure would be nice if people had to work for it, clean up parks, work at libraries, paint post offices and court houses. What if we drug tested and if you spent your cash on drugs instead of food for your kids then you loose your kids and your benefits? we cant just keep supporting peoples habits. We cant keep having some people work hard and others milk the system. I dont want kids to suffer and I want families who need short term help to get it..but people need to help themselves. Do you think people on PA are really doing EVERYTHNG they can to help themselves and get off welfare or are they just riding out there time and using the money until they have to make it on their own?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:46 AM on May. 10, 2010