Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Medicaid people want a WHOLE LOT of information I don't have. What do I do?

They gave me until today to bring this stuff in, it took until late Friday for my landlord to get the written statement to me (so their office was closed already), I can't get ahold of them to ask if these things will be okay, and I'm kind of freaking out. Here's what they are requesting.

SS number for me and a copy of my driver's license (have my number, but I can't find the card with my married name on it, I have my maiden name, tho)
Proof of gross earned income between 3/25/10 and 4/29/10
Proof of unearned income (how do I prove that other than printing my bank statement? Will a bank statement suffice?)
Proof that I live and plan to stay in the state (a lease with my name on it... but my name isn't on our lease)
A statement from our landlord saying that we live here (will this work as proof that I plan to stay here?)
Proof I am a legal resident

I can't call them, they won't answer the phone.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Anon :50, she's right. They don't give you a month. We had to get on Medicaid when my husband lost his job, unemployment benefits were denied, and we lost our insurance. They give you like five days.

    OP, you might be able to bring some utility bills with your name and the address as proof of residence. If you can only find your license with your maiden name on it, can you find a marriage certificate? You can show your birth certificate for proof that you are a legal resident. You may have to ask employers to help you get proof of income.

    I know it's a lot of work, but the program is a blessing so we are not left out in the cold when we find ourselves with no insurance. Just do your best, show up at your appointment, and ask if you can bring the rest in a few days.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I believe the term "unearned income" refers to income you've received from places other than a job (i.e. child support, alimony, etc).

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • They give you a month to get this stuff. Why did you wait so long?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Worst case scenario, you'll have to refile after you get all of these things for them.
    Have your landlord write that you DO live there and be sure to put when the lease is up, including your landlord's number. That should work as proof you plan to stay in the state.
    The SS card you will have to get a new copy of. If you haven't gotten a new one in the past year, it should not cost you anything... it WILL however take weeks to mail to you.
    Unearned income can also mean money you are receiving from family or friends, or child support. They'll want a written statement from any source, and your bank statement (including savings).

    Answer by ohsowonderful at 3:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • OP here

    Anon :50, I had 8 days from the time I recieved the notice until it was due, and it took my landlord almost that long to get the statement back to me. I most certainly did not have a month.

    If they want my SS CARD then why don't they ask for the CARD and not just the NUMBER?

    I know what unearned income means, but I didn't know if just a bank statement printed off the internet (do they think we save that crap and get letters from everyone who sends my daughter a birthday check stating why they did it?) would do for that or if they would want something more "official"


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • If they ask for your social security number and not the card, then it doesn't matter that your card still has your maiden name. Your security number is still the same. If they do need your social security card, I would think as long as you have your marriage certificate, then your card with your maiden name should be okay, too.

    Answer by Christina807 at 5:18 PM on May. 10, 2010